Midas Pro 1

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Midas Pro 1

Postby jlepore » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 pm

ok .. my favorite new console.

Been playing with this thing for a few hours and already mixing a show playback that sounds better than what I mixed live on SAC, and then mixed to DVD with SAW.
Faster, easier, and AMAZING sounding.

sc06146_2.jpg
sc06146_2.jpg (494.67 KiB) Viewed 39837 times
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Re: Midas Pro 1

Postby airickess » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Not surprised.
airickess

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am

Do these Pro Series Midas desk have seperate surfaces and mix racks? Or are they like the older Yamaha's where it's all built into the console?
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am

The Pro1 has 24x19 analog + 2 AES3 in/ 3 AES3 out + 3 pairs of AES50 built on.
The Pro2 and higher use external racks and have a small amount of local I/O (8x8 analog and some digital)

Any of them can use the same external preamps (including the pro1).
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby shmick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm

The website for the Pro1 says:

http://www.midasconsoles.com/pro1_intro.php

100 inputs x 102 outputs (max capacity) point-to-point routing anywhere within the Network
24 mic/line inputs with MIDAS mic preamps
48 simultaneous input processing channels
24 analogue outputs (including 2 stereo local monitor outputs)
3 AES3 outputs
2 AES3 inputs
27 sample-synchronous, phase-coherent mix buses
Up to 12 multi-channel FX engines
Up to 28 KLARK TEKNIK DN370 31-band Graphic EQs
Full-colour 15" daylight-viewable display screen
8 VCA (Variable Control Association) groups
6 POPulation groups
96kHz 40-bit floating-point processing throughout
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby jlepore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 am

Had my first gig out with this thing last night, and I am absolutely blown away. It sounds so much better than ANY board we have used before. Same wedges, amps, room, etc. and it made them sound like a brand new system. Navigation was was fast and easy.
jlepore

Postby airickess » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 pm

jlepore wrote:Had my first gig out with this thing last night, and I am absolutely blown away. It sounds so much better than ANY board we have used before. Same wedges, amps, room, etc. and it made them sound like a brand new system. Navigation was was fast and easy.

Once again I'm not surprised. These consoles have gained immediate acceptance in the upper end rock touring circles.
Muse has finally made the plunge into digital with the Midas Pro 6. On this latest tour they have ditched their Midas analog console for monitors and put in a Midas Pro (6, I think). The monitor guy seemed happy with it. At FOH they still mix the band on an XL4 but they have a Pro 2 as a sidecar. The opening act is mixed on a separate Midas Pro console.
There was a Midas Pro brought in for monitor duty for a group that performed on the AMAs (Linkin Park, I think, but I could be mistaken).
It took Midas quite a long time to jump into the digital console market but it appears they've done it correctly.
airickess

Postby gdougherty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm

How was the learning curve? Easy to get a grasp on it? I toyed with a Pro2 last week at a venue I flew through with my SAC rig and it didn't seem braindead intuitive, but wasn't unusable either.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

I dragged the desk home, hooked up my ADAT with some old multitracks of shows and played with it. By the end of a few hours, not only did I have a really good handle on the desk, I had already created per-song scenes complete with effects changes, tempo changes, user defined key changes, etc. I couldn't believe how fast I got it done. And since the manual was on my machine in the other room, I only recall having to check the manual twice for things I couldn't figure out just by using the desk and menu's on the desk.

That also included time trying to break the thing, time using the paperclip to hard reboot the UI computer while it was still passing my show audio, etc.

Biggest problem for me is it's still mac only for external control. I hope they fix that, but it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. Building a show on the fly was VERY quick.

I just got the advance sheet for yesterday's show a few hours before load in. I was able to build my start show file on the desk in 15 minutes. (monitor duty, so that included all the GEQ patches, aux patches, etc.)

It is everything SAC is not in terms of ease of use and just making sense.
jlepore

Return to Other DAW Discussion