Non-DAW Recording

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Non-DAW Recording

Postby IraSeigel » Thu May 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Hey gents,
Anyone here have any experience with the Fireface UFX? Or the Metric Halo ULN-8?

Any thoughts pro or con about recording to a USB flash drive?

Thanks.
Ira
IraSeigel

Re: Non-DAW Recording

Postby mycorn » Thu May 29, 2014 9:53 pm

i have a fireface uc

the usb drivers were as good as the pci drivers i made a living with for years

i dont remember ever going above 15x5 in sac...

i used it mostly for acoustic and broadcast stuff

fwiw
mycorn

Postby IraSeigel » Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks. I'm interested in recording to USB flash memory or a Drobo or other USB-connected drive. The UFX, as far as I know, is the only RME device that can do that. Allen&Heath just came out with something - not sure of the quality of their ICE-16. And the ULN-8 by Metric Halo is top-shelf, and there's a rumor that it will be Windows-compatible at the end of the year.
IraSeigel

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 30, 2014 1:57 am

IraSeigel wrote:Thanks. I'm interested in recording to USB flash memory or a Drobo or other USB-connected drive. The UFX, as far as I know, is the only RME device that can do that. Allen&Heath just came out with something - not sure of the quality of their ICE-16. And the ULN-8 by Metric Halo is top-shelf, and there's a rumor that it will be Windows-compatible at the end of the year.

Don't hold your breath with that windows drivers for Metric Halo. In that regard MH is even worse than Bob with their unfullfilled promises. Win drivers for their gear must have been coming soon for 10 years now and I am only slighty joking if at all.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby IraSeigel » Fri May 30, 2014 8:17 pm

RBIngraham wrote:

Don't hold your breath with that windows drivers for Metric Halo. In that regard MH is even worse than Bob with their unfullfilled promises. Win drivers for their gear must have been coming soon for 10 years now and I am only slighty joking if at all.

You're right about that. You can read about "promises" going back to 2007
IraSeigel

Postby RBIngraham » Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 am

Maybe my memory is foggy, but I seem to remember them going back for at least 10+ years now. To the time when they only had a single audio interface and SpectraFoo was brand new. I am still a subscriber to their email user list, but it's been years since I've read it since I got tired of waiting for those drivers an eon ago. If I really cared I could always look up when I joined that email list. But those drivers have been in the works since the day I joined that list.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby IraSeigel » Sat May 31, 2014 4:19 pm

It would probably be wiser to buy a MacBook Pro, if a Metric Halo was really important. Even used, the MH gear is expensive - high resale value. That's a good sign that they make good stuff and that it's highly regarded.

For recording onto a USB drive, the choices are slim. A&H at the low end, the Fireface UFX in the middle, and JoeCo and MH at the top end.
IraSeigel

Return to Other DAW Discussion