Other DAWs: The Good the Bad and the Ugly...

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Other DAWs: The Good the Bad and the Ugly...

Postby Jeffsco » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 am

Besides SAW...which I have and use...my exposure to other DAW platforms is very limited. A good friend of mine uses Cubase and I've experienced that , assisting him in his studio a few times. I just read a great article on the new Toto album where the guys and the producer are all using Logic as their chosen platform. I know a lot of people mention Reaper....and of course there is the ProTools giant looming large in the background.

Anyone with experience on these different platforms care to comment on the benefits to going with one of these platforms over SAW?
Jeffsco

Re: Other DAWs: The Good the Bad and the Ugly...

Postby airickess » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Reaper is cheaper and updates often. Its very light on computer resources (especially the 64-bit version) and is a very small download relative to other programs.
I switched to Reaper from Audition. I won't go back to Audition for multitrack mixing, although it is still great for editing. Reaper, on the other hand, is not a great editing tool - it is really more of a multitrack mixer.
airickess

Re: Other DAWs: The Good the Bad and the Ugly...

Postby gdougherty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 pm

I use Reaper all the time for editing in a non destructive manner. Now that I'm used to it I prefer it over the old destructive workflow in Audition.

As for DAWs, it depends. If you regularly work with professional studios and pass things back and forth or think you'd like to, there's no question that Protools is where it's at. There's also a growing number of Logic users, though that ties you into the Mac only world. It is widely regarded as a professional piece of software.

If you're primarily doing audio and only light MIDI for yourself or friends, Reaper can't be beat from a cost/functionality standpoint. There are all kinds of plugins and extensions available to make life easier and the workflow itself is quite intuitive. Since switching to the 64-bit version I've had zero stability issues.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Return to Other DAW Discussion