Need some advice on choosing a console...

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Re: Need some advice on choosing a console...

Postby leadfoot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Hey Joe, (or anyone) if you ever mix on the new Presonus RM32ai could you let me know what you think of it? Think of picking one up for our band to replace my aging Sac rig.. Sound, stability and portability are my main concerns in that order.

Thanks ya'll !
leadfoot

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

I can not speak to how it sounds since I only had a demo in our offices. But it should definitely cover those other two concerns fairly well. And I like the fact that Presonus is jumping in with both feet with regards to audio network support. They have their Firewire linking of consoles but also Dante and AVB on the way if it's not out already.

Plus they have another interesting thing coming out that I learned about at USITT but I don't think it's proper to share in public on a forum.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Never used one - wouldn't accept it on a rider, so I doubt I ever will hear it.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 pm

+1 to Joe. Presonus gear is at the bar band level and as such not anything I'd bother having in my rig. Granted my X32 isn't too far above it in some opinions, but I've been surprised by the favorable opinions from gear snobs that actually have used it on a quality system.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Paul Henry » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

jlepore wrote:Ok .. had a show on a M32 last night.

The preamps sound ok - not quite as good as the Pro series, but better than the X32. My biggest problem was the navigation is just as slow as the X32. Many button pushes and multiple levels to get to things you need. It was definitely slowing me down and causing me to think a lot more than I usually like - it takes you away from actually being totally connected to the show. I suppose once you learn where things are all hidden, it may be easier, and programming the 3 banks of user keys might bring some of the hidden stuff back up to the surface could also help.

So generally, a good sounding board and not a bad choice if you're on a budget, and willing to take a little time to learn the navigation?
Paul Henry

Postby jlepore » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah .. If you're gonna spend some time on it and maybe do some scenes or "snippets" for common changes or songs, you can probably get around all the things that were bugging me - but I was dealing with 4 bands and no real time to do much more than throw and go. It has the same wonky navigation as the X32 (the dual purpose utility menu's and crap just bugs the shit out of me).. If it's the only thing you're using and using it often, it probably won't be a problem.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:10 pm

I like the X/M32 best when I have an iPad running along side it. Fx changes and some other functionality are much easier on the iPad than they are on the console. Mixing a show is much easier on the physical desk.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm

I definitely agree. In fact, I also had the PC editor up as well. It gave me a place to keep an eye on all the meters, see the second layer of faders, and still had the iPad for when I needed to run out of the booth to hear things from the balcony, etc.
jlepore

Previous

Return to Other DAW Discussion