What features would you like to see in a mixer?

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Re: What features would you like to see in a mixer?

Postby gdougherty » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 am

Besides being lower latency, DSP scales better since you can break the processing into chunks and add another chip to handle a higher channel count or more effects units. If you run out of cycles on the latest and greatest CPU, you're done.

On the old forum Bob mentioned researching a similar approach to allow scaling of SAC into larger channel counts.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Razor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am

A dedicated linux/unix based OS was actually something I had in mind.

I see what you mean about scalability but I can't recall ever seeing a mixer where you could actually expand its processing power.
Razor

Postby Administrator » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 am

That's the entire basis of the DigiDesign/Avid Profile series. You just add DSP cards to increase the capabilites of the console.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby Razor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:02 am

Administrator wrote:That's the entire basis of the DigiDesign/Avid Profile series. You just add DSP cards to increase the capabilites of the console.

I actually know very little about the Avid boards. The more I hear about them the more I'm intrigued.
Razor

Postby shmick » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Razor wrote:A dedicated linux/unix based OS was actually something I had in mind.

I see what you mean about scalability but I can't recall ever seeing a mixer where you could actually expand its processing power.

How proficient are you at writing realtime code?
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby Razor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm

shmick wrote:
Razor wrote:A dedicated linux/unix based OS was actually something I had in mind.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to writing any kind of code. Just enthusiastic.
Razor

Postby gdougherty » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm

IIRC, the Soundcraft boards are built on a similar paradigm. The DSP and internal components are all modular and a bigger board can just get more of them to enable more channel processing capabilities.

As for LINUX, one of the selling points for SAC is the plugin capabilities. The problem with Linux is limited support for VST plugins or any other plugin standard. While it may be mostly ideal from an underlying OS standpoint, the lack of plugins makes it a relative non-starter. Mac OS is probably a better basis with Mac VST and AudioUnit support, but Apple's penchant for releasing new versions that break a good chunk of prior code could be fun to support. OTOH, you have a limited amount of high quality hardware to worry about supporting.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby gdougherty » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Razor wrote:
shmick wrote:

I'm a total newbie when it comes to writing any kind of code. Just enthusiastic.

So give yourself at least 10 years of intensive self training and learning contributing to other audio projects and you may be ready to think about tackling a SAC competitor. Logic flow is easy. Audio processing algorithms are usually higher level mathematics you need to understand at a fundamental level. It isn't the sort of thing you piece together from code samples.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Razor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm

gdougherty wrote: So give yourself at least 10 years of intensive self training and learning contributing to other audio projects and you may be ready to think about tackling a SAC competitor. Logic flow is easy. Audio processing algorithms are usually higher level mathematics you need to understand at a fundamental level. It isn't the sort of thing you piece together from code samples.

Yeah, I'm working on a CS degree right now. Know of any open-source audio projects out there?
Razor

Postby gdougherty » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 am

Pretty sure there are some open source audio projects. Google should turn up something.

g is for George
gdougherty

Previous

Return to Other DAW Discussion