What features would you like to see in a mixer?

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

What features would you like to see in a mixer?

Postby Razor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 pm

If a new mixer was being developed and you had a say in what features it would have, what would you want?

List so far:

• Control of multiple mixers from a single remote device.
Last edited by Razor on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razor

Re: What features would you like to see in a mixer?

Postby gdougherty » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

Want the functionality and control of 2 or 3 Venue D-Show's with a native iPad app for them for $5-10K. Don't think that's too much to ask.

Quite honestly, Avid seems to have gotten pretty close in their Version 3 software. The knob twiddler in me prefers the D-Show surface over the Profile surface or the stripped down SC48 interface.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Razor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 am

gdougherty wrote:Want the functionality and control of 2 or 3 Venue D-Show's with a native iPad app for them for $5-10K. Don't think that's too much to ask.

Quite honestly, Avid seems to have gotten pretty close in their Version 3 software. The knob twiddler in me prefers the D-Show surface over the Profile surface or the stripped down SC48 interface.

This thread isn't really about existing consoles, but we could add "control of multiple mixers from a single remote device" to the list.
Razor

Postby shmick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 am

Razor wrote:This thread isn't really about existing consoles, but we could add "control of multiple mixers from a single remote device" to the list.

Of course it's about existing consoles. You take what you like and don't like about what's out there and come up with a new product.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby Razor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 am

shmick wrote:
Razor wrote:This thread isn't really about existing consoles, but we could add "control of multiple mixers from a single remote device" to the list.

Of course it's about existing consoles. You take what you like and don't like about what's out there and come up with a new product.

What I mean is that I'm not asking about what new features people want from existing consoles, I'm asking about what features people would like if some brand new console was coming out.
Razor

Postby Administrator » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:29 am

You can do that on the pro-level Yamaha's. I know I've controlled a stage-rack 5d from my main 5d surface. You can always do that from studio manager as well. Haven't really looked to see what you can do with the smaller boards.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby shmick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:39 am

Razor wrote:What I mean is that I'm not asking about what new features people want from existing consoles, I'm asking about what features people would like if some brand new console was coming out.

Sure, but you need a baseline to design from and that would be what is already out there. You'll find most of the features people want probably already exist on one of the consoles out there, the problem is that people want feature X on console Y but that only exists on console Z, but console Z lacks other cool features of console Y.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby Razor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:03 pm

shmick wrote:
Razor wrote:What I mean is that I'm not asking about what new features people want from existing consoles, I'm asking about what features people would like if some brand new console was coming out.

Sure, but you need a baseline to design from and that would be what is already out there. You'll find most of the features people want probably already exist on one of the consoles out there, the problem is that people want feature X on console Y but that only exists on console Z, but console Z lacks other cool features of console Y.

I know. I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of features people really want.
Razor

Postby Andy Hamm » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:58 pm

I want it to be in two parts, a stage box and a remote FOH mixer like the iLive.

Ideally the stage box should be a small 3-4U package and support at lease 24 inputs, and at least 12 outs. The FOH control portion should be no bigger than a laptop, and should do nothing more than control the stage box. It should connect via Ethernet or wirelessly to the stage box and be no bigger than a laptop. It should have a control surface a pointing device and an LCD screen. There should be control over the input gains, pads and phantom power remotely from FOH.

The FOH control portion, should be somehow attached to the stage box for trasport in a small, compact package.

Wireless control for tablets are remotes should be web based, so it is not platform dependant. You should be able to connect with an iPad, Android powered device, Windows or Linux based computer.

Outputs should be able to be used as either stereo outs, or as invidual, independant mono outs. This would enable the mixer to have a L/C/R configuration, a seperate subwoofer output and 8 mono monitor mixes in a small package. The unit should also have the processing capability to filter the audio sent through these outputs so they can be used as a system processor / crossover.

It should deploy quickly - plug in your mic inputs, your outputs, configure the system profile and you should be ready to start with a soundcheck.

It should be able to record all of the inputs and play them back for virtual sound checks, etc.

Battery back up, networking capabilities and everything you need should be contained in the stage box. Other than your basic I/O, there should be nothing other than a power cord to plug in.

24 ins/ 12 out package should be under $2000.00
When I came home late last night.....
The wife left a note on the fridge:
"It's not working, I can't take it anymore!!
Gone to stay with my Mother."
I opened the fridge, the light came on, and the beer was cold.........
What the hell is she talking about??????
Andy Hamm

Postby Razor » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Andy Hamm wrote:I want it to be in two parts, a stage box and a remote FOH mixer like the iLive.

Ideally the stage box should be a small 3-4U package and support at lease 24 inputs, and at least 12 outs. The FOH control portion should be no bigger than a laptop, and should do nothing more than control the stage box. It should connect via Ethernet or wirelessly to the stage box and be no bigger than a laptop. It should have a control surface a pointing device and an LCD screen. There should be control over the input gains, pads and phantom power remotely from FOH.

The FOH control portion, should be somehow attached to the stage box for trasport in a small, compact package.

Wireless control for tablets are remotes should be web based, so it is not platform dependant. You should be able to connect with an iPad, Android powered device, Windows or Linux based computer.

Outputs should be able to be used as either stereo outs, or as invidual, independant mono outs. This would enable the mixer to have a L/C/R configuration, a seperate subwoofer output and 8 mono monitor mixes in a small package. The unit should also have the processing capability to filter the audio sent through these outputs so they can be used as a system processor / crossover.

It should deploy quickly - plug in your mic inputs, your outputs, configure the system profile and you should be ready to start with a soundcheck.

It should be able to record all of the inputs and play them back for virtual sound checks, etc.

Battery back up, networking capabilities and everything you need should be contained in the stage box. Other than your basic I/O, there should be nothing other than a power cord to plug in.

24 ins/ 12 out package should be under $2000.00

Control surface no bigger than a laptop? I imagine it'd only have 8 faders then.
Last edited by Razor on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razor

Next

Return to Other DAW Discussion