Behringer X32

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Re: Behringer X32

Postby RBIngraham » Thu May 15, 2014 4:13 pm

I have only heard of a couple of folks having some issues with fader motors crapping out. But other than that, I have not heard a bad thing about them. The only gotcha I think is that the PC/Mac editor didn't work with the version 2 software when that came out. But that might be fixed by now, so take it for what it's worth.

I know a couple of folks that have these now around town and they all seem happy with them. One of them is probably going to expand and buy an X32 Rack and some of the stage box things so that he can submix things in an orchestra pit and use the X32 at FOH.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Thu May 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah .. they are really tied in between editor versions and firmware versions on the desk - more growing pains like the old Yamaha game.
Thankfully, the firmware is easy to update, is on the public website so easy to carry with you and load.

The changes they made to the version 2 is fairly significant, including a full file format overhaul (the saved files are now clear-text so the ability to get in there with other tools is now wide open). I can understand why there would be issues between the versions.

All I kept thinking through the show is "how can this thing sound so damn good" instead of "will it crash if I try to fix this".
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Butch » Thu May 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Quite a few churches in my area have them and the main failure seems to be buttons not making good contact (have to hit them a couple times) and a couple faders
So I think I will start stocking faders and buttons and will make money fixing them ;) ;)
Already fixed 2 and they are not even a year old yet (they did not want to lose them for a long warranty repair)
They really do work and sound good at least when new :shock:

Butch
Butch

Postby RBIngraham » Thu May 15, 2014 9:22 pm

jlepore wrote:Yeah .. they are really tied in between editor versions and firmware versions on the desk - more growing pains like the old Yamaha game.
Thankfully, the firmware is easy to update, is on the public website so easy to carry with you and load.

The changes they made to the version 2 is fairly significant, including a full file format overhaul (the saved files are now clear-text so the ability to get in there with other tools is now wide open). I can understand why there would be issues between the versions.

All I kept thinking through the show is "how can this thing sound so damn good" instead of "will it crash if I try to fix this".

Of course the ironic part for me is that the Editor Software thing is a REALLY important feature for any console for my work. None of the iPad toy software I've seen performs well enough, plus I refuse to pay Apple tax just to run two or three apps. Give me a PC editor any day. Plus I usually need the offline edit ability. Anyway, that V2 software update to the console added features that really made me sit up and take a second look at the X32. With it's new scene features I think it really is a pretty decent desk for theatre usage, which I don't think it was before since it suffered from the Yamaha Scene mentality. The ironic part is the firmware update that made me actually consider the console broke something else that is a showstopper for me. :roll:

Oh well.... it's not like I'm going to run out and buy one anyway. I still prefer to just run my show from a PC mixer.

I'm sure they will fix it at some point, if they haven't done so already. I just know I won't be using one until I'm certain that that issue is fixed. At least not on a theatre show.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Fri May 16, 2014 11:14 am

The x32 editor on the iPad is the best there is, by FAR. I can operate ANYTHING on that desk (and faster than on the surface with the exception of the faders themselves). The only reason I joined the ranks of the dark empire is for my show control software. The only things on my iPad are show controllers for all the consoles, and an Audio Tools package.

This app really does blow away any of the pc based editors (even studio manager for completeness, and no question about easier to use)

If you had an ipad I'd say download and play with it in the full featured demo mode. It really is crazy how well it works. Now if they would only port it to the Midas side of the world....
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Yes, but does that work offline? If not... worthless to me... I want to build cues (scenes) long before I get into the space or I am sitting at the desk typically. And then I want to save everything in the desk for both a back up and so I can make changes at home or wherever when I am again not in front of the console or in the same room. Then when I get back there, upload all the changes I make. That is something I've done for years with Studio Manager and SAC as well. It's not a workflow I'm going to break. Obviously I know this is not as important for most users. But for theatre use it's very important. Now if I could do all that with the iPad app, then hats off to them. But I'm not going to run out and buy an iPad unless I actually owned one of the consoles that I really needed it for or was using one on a daily basis.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Not on the ipad - but the standalone app PC app does. I built my entire show before seeing the desk. You can download that from them, and it appears and works just like the desk (with obvious exception for things that don't make sense) The additional bonus is it is a single, non-install required EXE....download from their site, and run it - you're done.

You can connect the same app to the desk via USB and dump back and forth ala Yamaha.
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 16, 2014 9:16 pm

jlepore wrote:Not on the ipad - but the standalone app PC app does. I built my entire show before seeing the desk. You can download that from them, and it appears and works just like the desk (with obvious exception for things that don't make sense) The additional bonus is it is a single, non-install required EXE....download from their site, and run it - you're done.

You can connect the same app to the desk via USB and dump back and forth ala Yamaha.

Cool, so does that mean you used the PC app with version 2 of the console firmware and it all worked OK? If so then that fixes one of my major concerns.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 pm

I used the PC app to create my files and save them to USB. On show day, I only used the iPad.
I have other people that have used the PC app for show control attached to the desk and said it works fine.

I wound up on an island with weight restrictions, so I couldn't fly with everything I would normally bring to the gig. Figured worst case, I would just have to do it all on the desk.

but yes, it was version 2 (2.04 if memory serves)
jlepore

Postby mycorn » Sat May 17, 2014 5:29 am

i own iNothing

i'v been doing scene programming
and mixing live with the PC app since day 1

i use the android app as well

it now does stuff the company software does not

there are a few minor bugs in 2.04

it is still marked as 'public beta'...

new updates coming
...supposedly next week