Behringer X32

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Re: Behringer X32

Postby shmick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:04 am

Damn!

OK Uli, you have my attention... maybe you did just change the game... now I will have to take another look. An X32, with an addition Core or Rack, plus an S16 might not look so bad after all. At least for some of the places where I don't need a ton of system outputs.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 am

Wow .. just watched the video - they seem to have upped the game a bit with this version of firmware. Be interesting to hear how some of the new plugins sound. And their idea of scenes and snippets are EXACTLY what I've always looked for (without having to manage recall safe, or the bullshit bob calls scenes)

And of course, it's a free update.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby leadfoot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:53 am

Scenes and snippets.. I was reading about that on the Midas M32 page.. hmm.
leadfoot

Postby WurstWerner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 pm

leadfoot wrote:Scenes and snippets.. I was reading about that on the Midas M32 page.. hmm.

The Midas M32 is basically a X32 with a few extras (better TFT, XL4 MicPres and upcomming 96kHz operation). But the DSP and FXs are the same.
It is imho build for users that can't get over the Behringer brand. 8-)
WurstWerner

Postby jlepore » Tue May 06, 2014 11:58 pm

I just had a chance to use a X32 for a serious show (ok, was forced due to nothing else available in a remote part of the country). It performed beyond my wildest expectaions, and probably was one of the better mixes I had in a long time. The version 2 updates are amazing, and all the new fx options are really nice.

The remote app for this desk is second to none.

There ARE some annoyances and things that just plain suck about it, but in the end, it delivered a very good product to a very private (and high $$$) audience, and I couldn't stop smiling at the mix the whole night. I was glad I accepted using it instead of putting together a small SAC rig (which I had with me already) for the gig. I was able to relax and actually mix the show instead of concerning myself with programming a computer the whole time.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby mycorn » Wed May 07, 2014 5:58 am

the way i look at it
the desk/snake i bought last summer
the core i got last fall
and the rack i got for a clients iem rig this spring
have all long since payed for themselves...

and the spare rack too

so far nothing but positive comments

call it what you will

...i call it profit

and the mixers are better than the day i bought them

fwiw
mycorn

Postby gdougherty » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 am

Yeah, I'm starting to look at how I can part out my SAC rig and pickup either the full console or an M32. My only hesitation is the 32 channel cap, but I rarely need more than that. I've been holding onto my SAC system just in case, but I'm rapidly getting to the point where I'd rather have the X32 Rack's footprint and mix off the ipad than deal with SAC Remote on my laptop.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Wed May 07, 2014 8:20 am

oh, and multitracked the show using the 32x32 firewire port... :)
jlepore

Postby newmediamark » Thu May 15, 2014 3:59 pm

jlepore wrote:I just had a chance to use a X32 for a serious show (ok, was forced due to nothing else available in a remote part of the country). It performed beyond my wildest expectaions, and probably was one of the better mixes I had in a long time. The version 2 updates are amazing, and all the new fx options are really nice.

The remote app for this desk is second to none.

I recently allowed a regional sound company to provide an X32 for Monitor World out of curiosity. Since we call for a house guy to mix mons during the show when I'm at FOH, why not, right? The band I was touring with calls for more than 32 channels in the rider, but we hardly use that many, so ... Anyhow, I couldn't have been happier. I usually let the house team "ring out" the mons and set them up as they normally do, and then I tweak their bus EQ if necessary (sometimes I start over, but usually it's a good starting point since they know their gear), and then I make finer adjustments on the channel strips.

So I went from mic to mic and adjusted the wedges to my taste as the house guy walked with me with his iPad remote app, and we dialed it in within minutes during line check. No sound check. Then after an entire day's worth of festival acts, we walked the stage again before my band went on and everything recalled perfectly. We tweaked a few db here and there and dove into the show. The band was very happy and so was I. Of course the proficiency of the crew is everything, not just the gear.

I still question the long term reliability of the B products. I guess time will tell, but so far, everyone that uses the X32 seems pleased.

Mark
newmediamark

PreviousNext

Return to Other DAW Discussion