Behringer X32

A discussion area for other Digital Audio Workstations, and other topics relating to audio.

Behringer X32

Postby lowdbrent » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Just got to go through it in person. They packed a bunch in there, for sure.

The first batches coming to the USA will have some cosmetic issues. They are trying to intercept those units, to swap them out. Basically, the sheet metal was not processed correctly, and the surfaces will bubble up and crack.

The dealers, service techs and power users kept raising the parts and support issues. Behringer knows they have issues and a poor reputation to correct. I don't know if they will be able to turn that around. They built a new service center in Vegas, and have about 30 techs working. While the B guys were talking about field replaceable parts, and how modular things are in the X32, the guys kept bringing up the fact that Behringer can't deliver parts, so what is the benefit of that?

They have thought the console through. It will be ok for people that do not want to be able to assign users and access levels. It will not do any of that. The monitor mixer system is cool. The S16 is cool. The app for iPad control is out as of today and seems to be cool. It is free. The console still looks a little cheap to me in fit and finish, but, for that price, who can complain?

I had them unplug the X32. It takes 17 seconds to boot up.

You can only use automated faders when the console is being used in 32x32 mode. In HUI mode, you only get the 8 output faders.

The console is 48kHz, not 96kHz like the Midas consoles. So, it will not interface with the Midas gear via AES50. They said that they are working on that. So, working with the Lynx card may not be an option now. Drag.

What else you wanna know?
lowdbrent

Re: Behringer X32

Postby Frank DeWitt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 pm

I have been following this on a few forums. What I have learned is that it is all new, it is great, it is the flag ship of the new Pro line. It is a new standard for quality. None of the old Behringer problems. The first batches coming to the USA will have some cosmetic issues. They are trying to intercept those units, to swap them out. Wait a minute. They can't stop them from shipping, They are out there. Did I hear that right? "The first batches coming to the USA will have some cosmetic issues." Yup, I got it.

BTW Add to that the video showing how they designed there own motorized faders. The same ones as in the BCF2000. wow.

Thanks for the warning. Friends don't let friends buy Behringer

Frank
Frank DeWitt

Postby lowdbrent » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Ummm, I did notice that they were NOT smooth....AT ALL. You can make them squeal a bit too.
lowdbrent

Postby RBIngraham » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 pm

I find it interesting that they already have a recall of sorts. I'm sure Behringer is not run by idiots and they know full well what their reputation is as you pointed out. I think it will just be a real uphill climb for them to dig them selves out of the nest they made.

So I assume it's always a 32 channel mixer? No expansion that will turn it into a larger console? Not that I would expect it at this price point.

How is the scene control? Well laid out? Is it easy to select exactly what parameters you want to recall for each scene? Fade times on Scenes? Recall Safes?

I still doubt I would ever really consider this console, but it's interesting to look at anyway.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby lowdbrent » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Scene control is nice. The only thing I wish they would have done is put in a patchbay for the monitor system like the Roland, allowing each user to select which channels you want and then make that recallable in a scene. You cannot program the scenes for the monitor mixers from the console of course. Mute groups include anything you want, anyway you want. Routing is cool. All of the outs work simultaneously, which is cool. They were touting delay compensation on every input and output. Fine, but I asked if the delay compensation happens before or after the split to the monitors. If I am time aligning some vocal 10ms, I don't want that delay going to the monitor system. They said it should not be an issue, and that I could just route the monitor send from another place. Ok.
lowdbrent

Postby Frank DeWitt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:38 am

RBIngraham wrote:I find it interesting that they already have a recall of sorts. I'm sure Behringer is not run by idiots and they know full well what their reputation is as you pointed out. I think it will just be a real uphill climb for them to dig them selves out of the nest they made.

This assumes that they want to dig there way out. The 3 year warranty except on anything you touch. repair policy, lack of schematics ETC make me think they are quite happy to sell a lot of throw away stuff.

Frank
Frank DeWitt

Postby gdougherty » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 am

lowdbrent wrote:Scene control is nice. The only thing I wish they would have done is put in a patchbay for the monitor system like the Roland, allowing each user to select which channels you want and then make that recallable in a scene. You cannot program the scenes for the monitor mixers from the console of course. Mute groups include anything you want, anyway you want. Routing is cool. All of the outs work simultaneously, which is cool. They were touting delay compensation on every input and output. Fine, but I asked if the delay compensation happens before or after the split to the monitors. If I am time aligning some vocal 10ms, I don't want that delay going to the monitor system. They said it should not be an issue, and that I could just route the monitor send from another place. Ok.

Would be nice, but theirs seems more of an Aviom clone than a Roland competitor. It only has 16 inputs into the monitor system, where the Roland can do 32.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Razor » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:10 pm

gdougherty wrote:
lowdbrent wrote:Scene control is nice. The only thing I wish they would have done is put in a patchbay for the monitor system like the Roland, allowing each user to select which channels you want and then make that recallable in a scene. You cannot program the scenes for the monitor mixers from the console of course. Mute groups include anything you want, anyway you want. Routing is cool. All of the outs work simultaneously, which is cool. They were touting delay compensation on every input and output. Fine, but I asked if the delay compensation happens before or after the split to the monitors. If I am time aligning some vocal 10ms, I don't want that delay going to the monitor system. They said it should not be an issue, and that I could just route the monitor send from another place. Ok.

Would be nice, but theirs seems more of an Aviom clone than a Roland competitor. It only has 16 inputs into the monitor system, where the Roland can do 32.

Actually, if you're talking about the Roland M-48, it has 16 stereo groups, to which you can feed any of 40 channels.
Razor

Postby WurstWerner » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:04 pm

The Behringer P-16 is not restricted to single channels. You can feed it also with matrices, mixbusses, subgroups an so on. F.e. If you have 12 channels of drums, you can mix them down to a group and send these to the P-16 system. Than you have 14 inputs channels left, all with the seperate options pre/post fader, pre/post EQ and all with an additional 3 Band EQ for each of the sixteen P-16 inputs...
WurstWerner

Postby gdougherty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:54 am

Razor wrote:
gdougherty wrote:

Actually, if you're talking about the Roland M-48, it has 16 stereo groups, to which you can feed any of 40 channels.

Cool, better than I remembered. Still really pricey and I recall it doesn't play as well with other systems as the Aviom types. But you get a really slick system for the money.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Next

Return to Other DAW Discussion