Possible Work around to the Solo delay bug?

Reports of bugs, possible bugs, and other flaws found in SAC

Re: Possible Work around to the Solo delay bug?

Postby Administrator » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:52 pm

And to think - it only took 2 days to get this site up - half of that just waiting for DNS to propegate.
Administrator
Site Admin

Postby jlepore » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Servant Digital wrote:I spoke with Bob today he had found the issue causing the delay and corrected it in 3.0, that release will come out when all aspects of it are finished and tested. As I posted before I'm a heavy solo user and didn't hear it but then I don't believe i hit the solo 250 times during a set or show.

If you bothered to read my response, I did not have to solo 250 times - I keep the solo open continuously. Another user found that by soloing many times, the problem would occur.

After that discovery and the subsequent "fix", I found another instance where it occured almost IMMEDIATELY after starting the engine (as in first change to a different monitor mix). I have no idea if that situation is "fixed" since we obviously don't have the supposed fixed code. It is a prime example of the "support" that is being given. I can not use the system to get through a show, and the supposed fix is sitting on the sidelines for months.

Then again, I'm sure he don't give a shit about screwing up my shows ... I'm just a stupid customer that bought 2 of his products.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Servant Digital » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Is this issue on your Profire rig? I have a rig with that unit and it drives me nuts it just does not work well and I wont take it out for a show.

But as expressed before I have not had it on our show or rental rigs nor has any client expressed the problem. Its is not a show stopper for me just something I would deal with, its not in the house or monitors we are doing the show.
Alex Stroke
Servant Digital Systems
http://www.servantdigital.com
Servant Digital

Postby BrianR » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Servant Digital wrote:Is this issue on your Profire rig? I have a rig with that unit and it drives me nuts it just does not work well and I wont take it out for a show.

But as expressed before I have not had it on our show or rental rigs nor has any client expressed the problem. Its is not a show stopper for me just something I would deal with, its not in the house or monitors we are doing the show.

It's my rig and it has Octopre Dynamics.
The problem IS NOT MY SYSTEM IT'S THE CODE !
Bob fixed his code, I did not see him at the club putzing with my system and yet it's fixed (on his system). Bob now has everyone suspecting it must be the gear anytime a bug is found.
And every time it's not the gear.
BrianR

Postby Servant Digital » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 pm

First gear, config and plug-ins can be problems that can seem like bugs, in this case you found a true bug. How does it affect your show? other than you hear a delay in the solo. This is a learning session for me, I am the tech support my clients come to when an issue arises. They dont call Bob its me on the phone and Team Viewer doing a live remote to see their issue in realtime.
Alex Stroke
Servant Digital Systems
Servant Digital

Postby soundguy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Servant Digital wrote: in this case you found a true bug. How does it affect your show? other than you hear a delay in the solo.

Other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs.Lincoln?

As a SAC representative, your knowledge of ongoing tech issues is extremely weak, as compared to the average user. If there is a reason for that, please let me know so I don't make any unfair assumptions.

Since you are so tight with Bob, maybe he can give you an archived copy of the old forum, where this ... and many other issues that seem to surprise you ... have been discussed ad infinitum, many months ago, and included Bob's replies... who was of the mind that it couldn't possibly be his software.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby Servant Digital » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 am

I represent Servant Digital and develop SAC systems

I don't hit the forum on a daily or weekly basis to much BS to dig through in the last few months real threads turn in to off topic time wasters. I deal with issues in realtime and if I don't have the solution I ask questions or call RML and handle it immediately its not new to me, I have called for personal support since I started using the first version of SAW in 96.

Other issues reported may surprise me because I don't have them and haven't read the about them and past issues don't concern me now, only real current ones that I can help resolve.

Lets get my beginning right I started SAC on 1.4 built my first system and started it up with 16 mixes and slammed that system hard with consistent loads @80% NO FAILURES I recorded 40tracks on the same rig at 99% load buffers spinning like a slot machine with Bob on the phone trying to bring it down, Perfect recording NO FAILURE the load was due to channel fx's on all the mixes for the band it ran perfect.

So my Praise of the product is my personal experience not Kool-Aid drinking. What I build is learned on my own through trial and error if I go to Bob I have a problem that I wont waste time figuring out

I am asking Brian a real question because I have not seen the tread and want real answers from him and the setup of the rig.

This what I do with my clients and for the forum Users.
Alex Stroke
Servant Digital Systems
Servant Digital

Postby jlepore » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 am

Servant Digital wrote:First gear, config and plug-ins can be problems that can seem like bugs, in this case you found a true bug. How does it affect your show? other than you hear a delay in the solo. This is a learning session for me, I am the tech support my clients come to when an issue arises. They dont call Bob its me on the phone and Team Viewer doing a live remote to see their issue in realtime.

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS? Thank you for giving me the "true bug" award - of course it's a true bug - like the 4 other before that!

Why don't you try running a stage full of monitors and in-ears without a cue and see what kind of job you do! It is impossible to use it as a reference when it is a full upbeat off real time and you have the backwash from the mains and subs pounding right next to you.

You sound like the same kind of an idiot that Bob does .... do you even DO live shows?

And in all the hours I have used my profires, I have never had a single issue - although this problem is not on my system - just one I work on all the time. Nice try deflecting blame back to the user .... are you sure you're not Bob's twin?
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Servant Digital » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 pm

do you even DO live shows? 35yrs Live Plus 18yrs in Studio

I run at 2 to 3 locations every week no system is less than 40in and 12 mixes I cue the floors and mains frequently and will spot check the other mixes and do it on IEM.

Main Mix Stage 52 inputs
FOH
MON
10 Band - on remotes
2 IEM
1 Broadcast Booth - on remote
1 Recording - on remote
1 Aux Floor

NOW THAT QUESTION IS CLEARED UP lets continue

So your telling me you don't have issues with the Profire Rig, its a different 1 you work with that does. If its a full beat off that's crazy and would be struggle to deal with back stage.

( although this problem is not on my system )If the Profire rig does not do that, what is different with the one that does. I am not getting it on the i5 rig above Why?

not asking for sarcasm and sharp replies just the facts.

The i5 rig for the main stage was all ADA8000 on 2.8 but is now all Octopre on 2.9 I will go test it for the issue. There are 3 Eng's on this rig none have reported the issue that is why I ask about hardware , config and plug-ins not to deflect for SAC. Could there be a come piece of hardware in the rig that will trigger the bug in SAC that I don't use.

Its a process of discovery YES there is a bug for some but not others.

SAC does not change with in any installation but every config is different with so many variables to track down.
Alex Stroke
Servant Digital Systems
Servant Digital

Postby jlepore » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Why don't you just ask Bob to send you the 3 topics on the old forum, spanning over a year that fully describe this bug. They describe all the other users that were able to duplicate it on all kinds of hardware. They show identical posts to yours (from someone named BOB accusing the system and hardware of being at fault too). Finally he admited he found the problem and has supposedly fixed it. It did not say it was a hardware issue (as was clear from anyone that knows a damn thing about programming). It was a very simple buffer slippage internal to the code.

Even you search more, you'll even find a clue as to how it happens. Try this fun trick (preferably on a live stage with your cue cranked way up for maximum effect!)

1) During the loud part of a song, cue up a mix.
2) Turn off the solo when it's really loud in the song.
3) Wait for a really quiet part - a single vocal singing softly over an acoustic guitar works best.
4) Try to solo ANYTHING.

Did you hear that 1/4 second BANG (which was really the tail end of what you were soloing in step 2)? You can bet everyone on my stage and the first 15 rows of the audience did.
100% repeatable on every system we have tried it on. Don't know if he fixed that as part of the delay issue since WE DON'T HAVE THE CODE YET! I'm sure if he hasn't, you'll consider that not a big deal and just needing a workaround.

If you look at my tag, I also run an i5 and I can duplicate the monitor delay bug in test mode. Since I never run that system as a monitor guy, I can't say it's happened during a show, only because I don't use it that way.
jlepore

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs