I've been banned from the old forum!

Reports of bugs, possible bugs, and other flaws found in SAC

Re: I've been banned from the old forum!

Postby gdougherty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:54 am

Well, his policy actually seems to be helping him out. I'll give him that. The forum after 2 days of being open remains a mostly content free zone compared to previous activity. I'm sure it'll take a bit for people to notice and traffic may still ramp up, but ongoing discussion will probably remain nil in comparison to historical levels.
One thing I do wish is that the forum updated current signatures onto older threads. I put a link to the SACTalk foum in my new signature and it would be nice if it populated across all the historical postings.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby shmick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

gdougherty wrote:Well, his policy actually seems to be helping him out. I'll give him that. The forum after 2 days of being open remains a mostly content free zone compared to previous activity. I'm sure it'll take a bit for people to notice and traffic may still ramp up, but ongoing discussion will probably remain nil in comparison to historical levels.
One thing I do wish is that the forum updated current signatures onto older threads. I put a link to the SACTalk foum in my new signature and it would be nice if it populated across all the historical postings.

Funny, he removed both my no koolaid avatar and my sactalk.com link in my signature.

Your signature should update across old posts, as it should be dynamically generated from the database being used by the vbulletin software.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby Jeffsco » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:55 am

gdougherty wrote:Well, his policy actually seems to be helping him out. I'll give him that. The forum after 2 days of being open remains a mostly content free zone compared to previous activity. I'm sure it'll take a bit for people to notice and traffic may still ramp up, but ongoing discussion will probably remain nil in comparison to historical levels.

Well...you could be right. If people are feeling unsure about what can or can't be said then it could kill a good deal of passionate discussion that generated a lot of ideas and valuable information. But dominating the Forum...this one or Bob's... with bitter complaints will not move the SAC community ahead either.

Time will tell.
Jeffsco

Postby shmick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 am

Jeffsco wrote:

Well...you could be right. If people are feeling unsure about what can or can't be said then it could kill a good deal of passionate discussion that generated a lot of ideas and valuable information. But dominating the Forum...this one or Bob's... with bitter complaints will not move the SAC community ahead either.

Time will tell.

You don't think he's brought this upon himself by treating his customers like 2nd class citizens ? Bob's attitude towards reporting bugs and putting all of the onus on the customer is pretty crazy. I can appreciate the fact that he's a one man shop and I personally have no problem investing some of my own time in tracking down how to replicate a problem, but lately it's been Bob vs his customers and he thinks we're all a bunch of idiots.
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby gdougherty » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 am

shmick wrote:

Funny, he removed both my no koolaid avatar and my sactalk.com link in my signature.

Your signature should update across old posts, as it should be dynamically generated from the database being used by the vbulletin software.

Perhaps it's my subtlety. With the avatar you seem to have metaphorically kicked the door down which got the expected response. My sactalk.com link is simply labeled "Discussion".

You also seem to be unfairly attributing attitudes to Bob. I'm not his cheerleader but I doubt he thinks his users are all idiots. It seems more emotional than logical for him. You're dealing with his legacy, his handiwork, his ego as much as a software product. It's an asinine way to run a business, IMO, but we can't force him to make wise decisions. I think if SAC were really the completely shitty, worthless piece of crap some seem to be trying to make it out to be there would be far less emotional involvement on all sides. Given my budget and how well SAC works for me now I doubt I'll be jumping ship, but I find all the anti-Bob emotional involvement a little comical. You'd think he ran over everyone's dog. It's not a cult and the forums aren't religious services. Use the product or don't. I participate in the forums for my own educational benefit more than anything and to occasionally give back a bit of what I've learned. Update announcements in lieu of an email distribution network are most important to me and what really keeps me coming back.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby shmick » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't think SAC is worthless, but looking at the evolution of SAW and the lack of progress SAC has made, combined with the constant "coming soon" or "I'll look into it" responses for the last 3 years, I simply don't see it evolving beyond it's current state.

We've got 2 SAC systems, but are running quite well, but when it comes time to do an upgrade in a few years, I think we'll end up retiring those systems and look for something else with more/better remote features.
shmick

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 pm

gdougherty wrote:
shmick wrote:

Perhaps it's my subtlety. With the avatar you seem to have metaphorically kicked the door down which got the expected response. My sactalk.com link is simply labeled "Discussion".

You also seem to be unfairly attributing attitudes to Bob. I'm not his cheerleader but I doubt he thinks his users are all idiots. It seems more emotional than logical for him. You're dealing with his legacy, his handiwork, his ego as much as a software product. It's an asinine way to run a business, IMO, but we can't force him to make wise decisions. I think if SAC were really the completely shitty, worthless piece of crap some seem to be trying to make it out to be there would be far less emotional involvement on all sides. Given my budget and how well SAC works for me now I doubt I'll be jumping ship, but I find all the anti-Bob emotional involvement a little comical. You'd think he ran over everyone's dog. It's not a cult and the forums aren't religious services. Use the product or don't. I participate in the forums for my own educational benefit more than anything and to occasionally give back a bit of what I've learned. Update announcements in lieu of an email distribution network are most important to me and what really keeps me coming back.

Well said George. I'm no cool aid drinker either. (they seem to all be in the SAW Studio forum at least for the moment) But to me "poking the bear" won't really achieve anything either. If something comes up I'll say what I darn well think. But ranting won't achieve much of anything except maybe some personal satisfaction.

I will say though that this espisode has motivated me to put even less faith than I already had in any real future progress for SAC. If any of the more big picture things ever do happen, I'll be very surprised, but more than glad to eat my own hat if I have to do so.

I have not had any issues with two seperate SAC rigs all summer, and one was running in the outdoor heat for a couple of months.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby RBIngraham » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:49 am

Jeffsco wrote:Gee..for the past few weeks all I've heard from this Forum are complaints about Bob and how you say he never follows thru with what he says he's gonna do.

He does what he says he's gonna do and now your upset about it?

You get the irony don't you? :shock:

I can't help but comment on this comment as I've been reading through the old list of bugs here. It makes me wonder this... Do you still think he does what he says he is going to do? Because there seems to be a hell of lot of "features" coming real soon now... that I have yet to see.... :horse:
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Previous

Return to Bugs