Output Solo doesn't follow mix changes

Reports of bugs, possible bugs, and other flaws found in SAC

Output Solo doesn't follow mix changes

Postby jlepore » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:18 pm

For sake of completeness, I should probably post this in this section as well:

From a Show last night running monitors. Hardwire CAT5 link to host machine. Running on a full PC with SAC Remote.

Flipping around between mixes just using F-keys gets the Output Solo mode ("green" solo mode) confused sometimes.

Doing a show where I had to keep moving between 6 ear mixes (5 band members and a "private" mix for myself). Assigned 6 F keys to do nothing but change mixer number. Left system in "output solo mode" so that I can hear whatever mix I flip to in my cans. After a few "can't hear what I'm changing" moments, I realized, I was still listening to a different mix than I was looking at. Moving to other mixes, and the solo in my head didn't change, even though the solo light on the output of the current mixer was the one lit. Disengage solo mode, re-engage it, and it all started tracking again - for a while.

Happened a few times in a 90 minute set. Between that and the solo-delay bug, made it a real uncomfortable show to mix.

Why do I have to always feel I'm going into battle doing a gig on this board?!

You can imagine what I would hear from the almighty if I try reporting this one to him!
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Re: Output Solo doesn't follow mix changes

Postby gdougherty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Here's my email to Bob reporting the greater extent of the channel recall issues affecting the solo mode. As noted in the other thread, depending on your use of the channel recall feature, this may or may not be the real culprit. It took me the longest time to finally put together that this was the culprit rather than just randomly flipping around the mixers. I tend to do that with the number pad rather than f-keys and figured SAC just got left behind from time to time. Needless to say it was an incredible frustration when he deemed it a "feature" that didn't need attention rather than a bug that required fixing. I just needed to change my expectations. It's a good thing I don't live near Vegas because I was ready to bring about some physical violence at that point.

I would actually appreciate a flood of emails from other users to Bob if anyone else agrees that this is a bug and not a feature. You can email at tech@SoftwareAudioConsole.com or call him at (702) 597-0476

Bob,

I had originally reported that the solo mode is overwritten if you recall an output channel setting over the master output channel for a mixer. In your mind, this was not a bug that the output solo mode would be turned off every time a partial channel setting is recalled. I’ve since found that this “feature” apparently exists across all channel types and all partial channel settings.
As a user who lives pretty much exclusively in output solo mode, this makes using the channel save/recall functionality a major PITA. Please reconsider your designation of this issue as “feature” and correct the behavior so that the solo mode is not changed when recalling channel settings. IMO, it would be safe to even ignore the solo button in a channel recall so that the solo state of the board is never overwritten by these operations.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:18 pm

FUCK!

That is probably EXACTLY what happened to me. I was doing a bunch of EQ copies around between the monitor desks. That certainly could have been it.

Agreed - that IS A BUG. WHO in their right mind would want that "feature"?

I know what the result of bringing that to Bob would be, but what the hell. Let's see how long it takes my post to get removed.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby jlepore » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, I tried playing nice with my reporting of this, and Bob again decides to blame me for having this bug. I'm sure the thread will be deleted for me calling him out on it .... but here it is at the moment....

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15847

onitorBug_191112.pdf
(83.15 KiB) Downloaded 1609 times
jlepore

Return to Bugs