Plugin Display bug is back

Reports of bugs, possible bugs, and other flaws found in SAC

Plugin Display bug is back

Postby jlepore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:34 am

The bug that causes SAC to crash on occasion when opening or closing a plugin window is back. Apparently the changes he did to the RTA, levelizer, etc. did not fix the entire problem. They don't seem to happen as often anymore (and I foolishly started feeling confident enough to open my reverb window to change the timing). Took the entire system down as before.

I am really getting sick of this shit.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Re: Plugin Display bug is back

Postby Hkmorgan87 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 am

This applies to all plugin windows? I have noticed this effect with 3rd party vst plugins but never sac native.
Harley Morgan

SAC Host: Asus p8z68-v lx with I3-2120, 320 gb hd, HDSP pci with Digiface, x3 ada8ks.

SAC: 1 x 32, 32channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 10 monitor mixes. 40%

System: Meyer UPA-1C (tops) Servodrive BT7 (subs) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)
http://www.miraclesoundco.com
Hkmorgan87

Postby jlepore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am

I have had it happen with both third party and SAC plugins. The Levelizer bit me once.

It seems to happen when either opening or closing the window. It is probably more obvious with 3rd party plugs as those get opened and closed more (because of his window re-use for native plugs)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Hkmorgan87 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 pm

and this has happened on both sac host and remote?

i had sent bob an email about this a few months back (just siting this with the vst windows). but of course it couldn't be duplicated.
Last edited by Hkmorgan87 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harley Morgan

SAC Host: Asus p8z68-v lx with I3-2120, 320 gb hd, HDSP pci with Digiface, x3 ada8ks.

SAC: 1 x 32, 32channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 10 monitor mixes. 40%

System: Meyer UPA-1C (tops) Servodrive BT7 (subs) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)
http://www.miraclesoundco.com
Hkmorgan87

Postby jlepore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Only on the host.

Of course, it wouldn't be nearly such a problem on the remote, but since you can't do any real-time updates on the remote, also quite useless.
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:21 am

Oddly enough, just tonight, I patched an instance of EpicVerb from the remote, went to unpatch it, and bam. Both Remote and Host were gone. No host still passing audio, full shutdown of everything.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 am

And that's how it always starts .... "Joe's Bug" turns into everyone starting to hit it .... 6 months later, "I found it and it's been fixed" ... 6 months after that, it still isn't released.

Welcome to the club George.
Let's see what happens when you try reporting that :)
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:30 pm

jlepore wrote:And that's how it always starts .... "Joe's Bug" turns into everyone starting to hit it .... 6 months later, "I found it and it's been fixed" ... 6 months after that, it still isn't released.

Welcome to the club George.
Let's see what happens when you try reporting that :)

Don't know that I'll bother. Could as easily have been a wireless network glitch causing an untrapped error. It's not the first time I've seen issues when opening a plugin but I wouldn't be surprised at all if its caused by data that goes missing during a wireless network event. Then again, I've seen issues on the host with no remote attached when opening old plugin data with a newer plugin. Nothing easily repeatable and in the case of a new plugin version the fix is to clear it and outside of proper error trapping its not anything I'd necessarily expect bob to handle.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlepore » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 am

So you're saying it's ok that the system crashes because he can't be bothered to handle exceptions in the code (like the rest of the professional world).
Forgive me if I don't give him a pass on this. It's just lazy, and shows a lack of care in the product.

90% of the bugs I have come across could have been minimized by proper error handling.
jlepore

Postby gdougherty » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 am

Not saying I'm giving him a pass at all. Just that realistically he seems uninterested in rewriting SAC and including error correction because he wants to maximize performance over stability. Realistically his car analogy should be a Viper, not a Ferrari. It's powerful but it can get out of control and there's not a lot of luxury refinement to it.

SAC is truly a niche product that works for some and at least for me right now still meets my needs. Someday there might be a better option for my situation but not yet. I don't do as much pro level stuff as you do and if I did I'd probably be on a GLD or one of the other slick "entry level" digital consoles. If I were getting into it today I'd probably end up with an x32 and I'd live with the limitations.

g is for George
gdougherty

Return to Bugs