Old Dying System V/S New Build

A place to discuss AMP - Audio Mixing Platform (http://www.ampmix.net)

Old Dying System V/S New Build

Postby BrettBrandon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 am

Last week I power up to start having lots of strange things happening....
Not wanting to finish booting unless certain drives were disconnected. But one of those drives would still boot by itself.
It's been six or seven years since a rebuild. It actually performed very well for it's much used time.
For those interested it was a Gigabyte MB "GA-EP45T-UD3LR" with a E8400 Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHZ.
I also suspected the very old power supply might of had something to do with it so I ordered a new motherboard, processor, power supply, and ssd drive (the old one will boot on it's own, but hangs the system if it is hooked up with another boot drive???). Like I said, some strange stuff going on.

The whole point of this post is to report the audio findings of the new rebuild.
With the last system, I was able to get it to run at a MOTU soundcard sample rate setting of 96000, a buffer setting of 16 with 0 buffers in AMP to get latency readings, but got nothing but pops and errors while running audio. With the current build I am listening to audio at those settings while photoshopping the attached image and creating this post with no clicks and not a single error....
I have opened and closed programs, grabbed a window and dragged it all over the screen and so far cannot create a single pop or error. I am very impressed!!!

I still have the computer case open and as long as no spinner hard drives are attached, when I hit the power button, there is absolute silence except for the beep and it goes from powered off to desktop ready in about 6 to 7 seconds... Very cool.

Once again for those interested, here's the new system.

Gigabyte Z97M-D3h, I did alot of digging on motherboards as there seems to be problems with alot of what is currently available (even by trusted names).

Intel i7-4790, 3.6 GHZ, 8 MB Cache, LGA 1150 Processor with factory heatsink and fan.

Silencer MKIII 750W Power supply.

This is using the processor's "onboard" graphics to run a 1920 X 1080 monitor.
It is also a default install of AMP with no setting changes (cores, ect)....

Very impressed, great work Bob P!!! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Just noticed that when you go to 96000, the lowest buffer rate is 32, not 16. Sorry for the error...
EDIT2: Forgot to mention that this is on 64 bit Win7.
Attachments
shot.jpg
shot.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 41921 times
BrettBrandon

Re: Old Dying System V/S New Build

Postby jlepore » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Nice.
May have to try a reinstall and see if it helps with one of my systems.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Return to AMP Discussion