Brand New Software Mixer

A place to discuss AMP - Audio Mixing Platform (http://www.ampmix.net)

Re: Brand New Software Mixer

Postby randyhyde » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:36 am

They had me right up to this point:

"The Host program requires a USB key for authorization. We provide you with TWO USB keys, so you always have a backup in case of a hardware failure. (Yes, you could also run the two simultaneously.)"

I don't do USB dongles. After some terrible experiences with DigiDesign, swore I'd never go down that route again.
I'd gladly pay more money, but I won't allow the requirement of a dongle in a system that my business depends on.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby Frank DeWitt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 pm

I am interested in this Randy. What is the best way to protect software? I use CAD software that has a code hidden somewhere on the hard drive. It scares me but has worked. What goes wrong with USB keys?

Frank
Frank DeWitt

Postby BrentEvans » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 pm

They break. They unplug if you bump them just so. They get formatted by accident from time to time.

I suppose if you mount it inside the machine, it might not be so bad but if you ever wanted to move the application it would be a pain.

I personally prefer the online authorize/deauthorize method, so long as it can be done inaway that doesn't require the host to be online (ever).
BrentEvans

Postby Frank DeWitt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Paul Henry wrote:Okay, so side by side with SAC who wins in what areas? What are AMP's current shortcomings aside from plugin support? Does it have all the basic effects built in?

I would like to see a complete comparison. I understand the author is working on it. I sat through a demo and kept saying I can't do that now. Some things I remember.

Password protected levels of access.
Turn it on, password in, it comes up live with just a few faders for a simple limited use (Example meetings with two mics and a mp3 player) Note, it turns on. No clicking to turn the engine on.
I was able to change test size and font.
I could set up the screen without pan ETC.
I could see a small graph of EQ on every channel so I could see if EQ was on
The fat channel has a graph for EQ
It has recall safe (I think that will be useful.)
I can put EQ on outputs so one for the main room, one for the halls, one for the feed to the nursery ETC.
I can have effects pre fader That means for example, I can add a gate to a humming guitar and have that gate on all the iem mixers by default. I get complaints now that "My earphone mix is humming. They are not sound guys so they don't know why.
I can use a output as a input to another mixer or aux.
I can recall a scene that plays a .WAV file
Each person on the worship team sees there own separate simplified mixer but I see them all as Auxes on my FOH displays.
I can add as many Motormixes as I want and they don't need a special ship and they don't slow down (each one is on it's own input, not daisy chained.
Getting around the GUE tends to follow windows protocol. For better or worse I know windows.

Of coarse, there are the numbers.
255 Channels
Over 200 Mix Busses
Up to 128 Hardware Inputs and Outputs
8 Bands of Flex-EQ per channel (low/high pass, low/high shelving, peak, and all-pass)
32 Aux Sends (each with separate tap points, and 3-band flex-EQ per Aux)
3 Dynamics processors per channel (Gate, RMS Compressor with side-chain filter, and Peak compressor)
Up to 500ms of delay per channel
32 Assignable Subgroup busses
32 DCAs (Digitally Controlled Amplifiers)
Direct Outs on all auxes, and Post-Fader direct out on channels
Identical processing on input and output channels

Well that is a start, and perhaps some of the above CAN be done on SAC. I just didn't figure out how.
Frank DeWitt

Postby Paul Henry » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Frank, so you signed on as a Beta tester?

So it has delay, comp, eq and gate, does it have a reverb?
Paul Henry

Postby randyhyde » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Frank DeWitt wrote:I am interested in this Randy. What is the best way to protect software? I use CAD software that has a code hidden somewhere on the hard drive. It scares me but has worked. What goes wrong with USB keys?

Frank

Charge an appropriate amount for it and don't get to concerned by the people who rip you off. They're going to rip you off anyway...
Most importantly of all, don't penalize the *honest* people who actually buy your product.

As a software developer myself, I can understand wanting to get paid for my work and not get ripped off. However, as a software user I can't stand the fact that four years after I've bought a piece of software DRM prevents me from using that software on a new machine I've bought (and, often as not, the publisher isn't around anymore or wants me to pay big bucks to upgrade the the latest version [or worse, get a subscription to the latest version -- Photoshop comes to mind here]; I don't need the upgrade, the old software works fine).

Of all the things bad I can say about Bob and SAC, his DRM policy (rely on honest users) is highly praiseworthy.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby IraSeigel » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Frank,
Thanks for posting this. It looks very interesting and I hadn't heard of this before. I will follow this thread and their website for awhile to keep track of developments.
Happy new year.

Ira
IraSeigel

Postby Frank DeWitt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 pm

Paul Henry wrote:Frank, so you signed on as a Beta tester?

So it has delay, comp, eq and gate, does it have a reverb?

No reverb yet. I know and the author knows it is a must have.
Frank DeWitt

Postby BrentEvans » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:46 pm

After reading through Frank's post, it seems that the current state can be summed up as this:

It has nearly everything that SAC needs but doesn't have, but lacks a few things that SAC has which would make it a truly usable product (plugin support being the main thing I can see).

Any chance of a downloadable demo (same type of thing Bob offers, with a working but crippled engine)?
BrentEvans

Postby Butch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:00 pm

randyhyde wrote:
Frank DeWitt wrote:I am interested in this Randy. What is the best way to protect software? I use CAD software that has a code hidden somewhere on the hard drive. It scares me but has worked. What goes wrong with USB keys?

Frank

Charge an appropriate amount for it and don't get to concerned by the people who rip you off. They're going to rip you off anyway...
Most importantly of all, don't penalize the *honest* people who actually buy your product.

As a software developer myself, I can understand wanting to get paid for my work and not get ripped off. However, as a software user I can't stand the fact that four years after I've bought a piece of software DRM prevents me from using that software on a new machine I've bought (and, often as not, the publisher isn't around anymore or wants me to pay big bucks to upgrade the the latest version [or worse, get a subscription to the latest version -- Photoshop comes to mind here]; I don't need the upgrade, the old software works fine).

Of all the things bad I can say about Bob and SAC, his DRM policy (rely on honest users) is highly praiseworthy.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

With software like this or SAC the required hardware is expensive enough that most people are not going to use it except in a professional way and those kind of people generally WILL pay for it anyway. So what if the neighbor kid has a copy

Butch
Butch

PreviousNext

Return to AMP Discussion