AMP in the Real World

A place to discuss AMP - Audio Mixing Platform (http://www.ampmix.net)

Re: AMP in the Real World

Postby jlepore » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:08 am

Just finished 3 monitor gigs with AMP and not only did it perform flawlessly (other than me doing a GUI edit midshow that went wrong - although no loss of audio, and my other remote stayed perfectly intact and in control), the bands were all very impressed by the stage sound. Something I haven't been hearing lately from SAC (mostly because of the latency I would guess). Same rig, same system, same stage. Only thing is going from 2x64 on SAC to 0x64 on AMP.

Got the interest of another national act touring guy that also used to be a SAC user years ago and dumped it. Seems like the interest is there for the proper product.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Jeffsco » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Crap...when is AMP going to be released!

Your teasing us Joe...with these types of reports!
Jeffsco

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Yeah I hear ya... Bob really is working pretty hard on it. This is why developers don't give release dates....
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:01 pm

The changes in response to real world use are coming so fast, it's actually hard to keep up with the beta releases - which is actually a very good thing. In the end, it will be a FAR superior product, and I already have more confidence in it than SAC - hence using it to mix for at least one nation act, and a few openers in the past 2 weeks.

And yes, I have been able to break some things, but they have all been fixed within days of reporting them. THAT'S what I expect, and I haven't had to pay $1500+ to someone that only likes insulting people to get it.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Butch » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:12 am

So how can you have 0 buffers at 64 bytes each ?
So Amp runs windows with NO buffers at all ?

Butch
Butch

Postby mattseymour » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:50 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this means to still have the necessary 64 buffers in the asio driver but nothing else vs sac always introducing some buffering of its own. So 2x64 is sac buffering plus the asio buffers.

You won't get to no buffers.
mattseymour

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

It means that AMP is processing all of it's data in the time of one buffer. So in the time of 64 samples (which will vary depending on what Sampling Rate you're running) AMP will do all the mixing and spit the data back out again.

If you're running at 1x64, what is really happening is that the software is spitting out the data 1 buffer behind what is currently coming in. If it's 2x64, it's two buffers behind, etc.. So in reality if you're running at 2x64 the output is actually 192 samples behind your input. (not counting the latency introduced by the A-D-A convertors) That's 3 X 64. If you're running at 0x64, then your outputs is only 64 samples behind the input, which is pretty damn impressive I have to say. That is as fast as just about any hardware desk out there I think I've seen specs or measurements on.

Matt is correct you can never truly have zero buffers. And you can never truly have zero latency. (so don't let that marketing BS fool you!) Even in the analog world there is latency in cable and components, it's just so damn small that it's next to impossible to measure, let alone hear or notice.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Basically, the software is so damn fast it processes all of the input data and produced the output DURING the interrupt when it receives the data - it doesn't have to wait and do it offline. It helps when you know how to really use the hardware available. Using multi-threads and processors is not exactly new technology anymore.

The last config I was running was 32in x 10 st Aux. at 0x64, I was running a maximum 25% load. I never thought of bringing it down to 2x64, but it would stand to reason the load would be under 10% in that configuration. That far surpasses the SAC numbers for that system.
jlepore

Postby Jeffsco » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Once again....when is this thing coming out! :D
Jeffsco

Postby mattseymour » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:27 am

The last email exchange I had with Bob he was still hoping to release this year, but he's doing absolutely the right thing by waiting until it's ready. Especially now Joe's on board with the testing, breaking it all the time.
mattseymour

PreviousNext

Return to AMP Discussion