Amp ui query

A place to discuss AMP - Audio Mixing Platform (http://www.ampmix.net)

Amp ui query

Postby mattseymour » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:06 pm

for those who've got their hands on AMP got a query... Is it feasible to create a simple personal monitor controller interface suitable for touch? There's a few very cheap 7" windows tablets on the market that would make great controllers. Thought of trying them with sac but of course the interface is unusably small without the fabled touch view.

Would be interesting to know if amp will deliver.
mattseymour

Re: Amp ui query

Postby jlepore » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Yes. Absolutely
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:59 am

Yes it should be. The GUI for AMP is almost completely customizable. Each of it's windows is made up of widgets that control one or more functions within the engine. The end user can (if they feel like putting in the work) create a complete custom UI. And each instance of the GUI can have it's own UI and set up. So person A's personal monitor mixer doesn't have to look like person B's, etc... There are a few things they need to share that console layout related, but by in large it is very flexible.

Each GUI instance can have it's own control surface configurations, it's own Solo settings and buss and it's own window arrangements on the screen.

Brett has put a lot of work into creating a really wide variety of control windows that work with the GUI. So I would doubt that many will really need to spend time on a lot of custom windows.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby mattseymour » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Joe, Richard... I'm really looking forward to this being released. I bought a discounted Toshiba windows tablet that should make a great personal monitor controller for AMP. Don't know if you've seen these things, they're marketed as Intel Inside "full windows 8 experience" tablets for about £120 (so probably about $110). The OS is windows 8 with Bing, which is a low rent version of windows 8 that's optimised for modest hardware. I think MS give it away for 7" tablets with 1GB ram.

The tablet itself is pretty crappy, but it's x86 windows for peanuts. For a laugh I tried SACremote. Everything is so small as to be completely useless, even with a stylus. However being able to draw up a GUI optimised for the screen size and touch, that gives easy access to the necessary controls makes having a couple of these around the stage a really interesting idea.
mattseymour

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 am

The good news is Brett has been working on most of the useful UI's including the touch versions of the UI. They are very workable on tablet screens. Yes, we're still limited to x86 windows at the moment, but as you say, they have gotten really cheap, so that's not really a barrier anymore.

I was confident enough to mix monitors for a national act last night on it - and had absolutely NO issues - in fact, I was getting bored for a while. That is a welcomed change from sitting on the edge waiting for something to go wrong with SAC.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Return to AMP Discussion