Drums VST's?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: Drums VST's?

Postby Andy Hamm » Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 am

You can trigger a sample for free, using Regate and Resamplamatic 5000. The gate will actually allow you to mix between the triggered sound and the mic'd sound. I usually set my threshold so that it allows the drummer to be dynamic, but when they are playing a solid beat, the trigger comes into play (but not abruptly). You can add a comp after the gate to turn down his mic'd kick if you have to when he reaches the sample threshold.

I also like to use a sample of the actual kick drum that the drummer is using so it has some realism to it. I edit the sample in my home studio to get the ideal sound that I'm after, sometimes adding a low sine wave to it or whatever I need to do to get the sound I want. You can get away with doing it live too, if you have an empty room to putz around with it.

The only thing that you really need to change in the sampler settings is the pre-delay, which is at 1ms by default, and I take off the 'obey note off' option.
When I came home late last night.....
The wife left a note on the fridge:
"It's not working, I can't take it anymore!!
Gone to stay with my Mother."
I opened the fridge, the light came on, and the beer was cold.........
What the hell is she talking about??????
Andy Hamm

Postby Andy Hamm » Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 am

I just read some of the replies....

There is a popular kick drum mic that I run into all the time - Sure B-52 that has all kinds of thud, but not much snap. Would you happen to be using one of those?
Andy Hamm

Postby jlepore » Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm

seriously? You can't get a good sound out of a B52?

http://youtu.be/AVP2WyCI-P8

From a camera aparently sitting next to me at FOH - camera audio.
B52 on all kicks (most are not used except for accents). Mixed on a 5D, so no special plugins or anything.
Last edited by jlepore on Sat May 18, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby AntonZ » Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 pm

I am not sure about the kick mic Andy. It is mounted inside the kick shell, it is the only mic of the drummer's mic set that I have never seen. The others are clip-on Sennheisers, sound good to me. I think the kick mic is a Sennheiser too.
AntonZ

Postby soundguy » Sat May 18, 2013 4:53 pm

jlepore wrote:seriously? You can't get a good sound out of a B52?

Not always.

I do a lot of work with the same drummer and kit, but on many different stage environments and with different PAs, all with different low end and sub-woofer characteristics ... not to mention the different mics on other drums in the kit and the overheads all contributing to the phase and tone of everything else.

I started calling for a Beta 91 inside and laying on the padding, and that seems to be sub friendly, although sounds like crap without subs. The combination of a B-52 outside the front head, and B-91 inside is helpful, but when I started bringing out a D-12, that immediately proved to be more consistent. Don't like the potential abuse of bringing a vintage mic on the road though.

Maybe the B-52 without a front head would give me more flexibility, but no one is giving up the logo. :-) The kick always seems to require the most work.

soundguy
soundguy

Postby jlepore » Sat May 18, 2013 4:58 pm

actually, I don't think any of the drums in my video had holes ... there is a magic technique to using a 52 without a hole. We even had to put the main kick in the all the wedges if memory serves me right.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Jeffsco » Sun May 19, 2013 11:28 am

Anton...in response to your original post..yes..there are a few ways to add a triggered sound as per Drumagog. Unfortunatly... they do have a cost involved. Andy Hamm's method above works well.
If you read the below link from the "other" Forum...you'll see that I figured out how to set up Ez Drummer or Superior Drummer from inside SAC and have acoustic drums trigger the EZ Drummer sounds. It is also touch sensitive so the tone of the drum will change according to how hard the acoustic drum is hit. It's a bit of a read. Your going to have to purchase a few other bits of VST software...the main one being Console ($59.00?). After all is said and done..perhaps Butch's and George's solution will be the best compromise.

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=16431
Jeffsco

Postby BrettBrandon » Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Jeffsco wrote:Anton...in response to your original post..yes..there are a few ways to add a triggered sound as per Drumagog. Unfortunatly... they do have a cost involved.

I guess I forgot to mention the Replacer vst I posted earlier in this thread is free and you can use any wave file samples with it.
http://www.boxsounds.com/vst.html

Sorry for that ommision....
Brett
BrettBrandon

Postby soundguy » Sun May 19, 2013 5:39 pm

jlepore wrote:actually, I don't think any of the drums in my video had holes ... there is a magic technique to using a 52 without a hole. We even had to put the main kick in the all the wedges if memory serves me right.

Well, I didn't watch your video, I was just making a general comment. The B-52 is not my "go-to" mic for kick, although they are ubiquitous with sound companies, so I am frequently forced to use them unless I can request or bring something else. Maybe it's just my opinion because I've had the opportunity to use many other options.

It has a lot of low end, but not not much snap, and what seems like a slow response time.

Maybe someday you can share your "magic technique". :-)

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby Andy Hamm » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am

jlepore wrote:seriously? You can't get a good sound out of a B52?

http://youtu.be/AVP2WyCI-P8

From a camera aparently sitting next to me at FOH - camera audio.
B52 on all kicks (most are not used except for accents). Mixed on a 5D, so no special plugins or anything.

Well, it's not that I can't get a kick sound, it's more like I get a comprimised kick sound. I always end up boosting the high end (sometimes 12-15dB) on the kick channel and gating the kick when I use that mic. The way it attaches to the stand, all it has for isolation is a little o-ring that doesn't seem to do anything to stop stage vibration from reaching the mic. There are all kinds of those cheap drum mic kit kick mics that I prefer over the B-52, which are probably worth less than $50. My preference is still an RE-20 in the kick, but I'm not seeing too many of those around these days.

And as Soundguy has commented, the B-52 seems to have become a de-facto standard with allot of soundco's as of late.
Andy Hamm

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion