How many SAC users?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

How many SAC users?

Postby Yuval » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

I really like to know the answer to that. I think it might help SAC users if we know how many of us are there. Right now only Bob knows the number.
Yuval

Re: How many SAC users?

Postby BrentEvans » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:43 am

Bob knows the number of licenses he has sold. That doesn't necessarily exactly correlate to the number of users, as some may have bought a license and never used it (or use it so sparingly it doesn't really count), and there are some unlicensed users as well.

I would guess the number of users is in the high hundreds or low thousands. I'd be surprised greatly if more than 2,000 licenses had been sold. That would be an average of about one license per day over five years... which I think would be quite optimistic given that the only marketing is word of mouth. Then again, 2,000 SAC licenses is a cool million in revenue for Bob. Even divided out over 5 years, it would be a decent living.
BrentEvans

Postby BrianR » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 am

I know of five people using SAC and I've heard of a couple more that I don't know in St Paul, Minneapolis.
BrianR

Postby Audio_Labs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:58 am

Yuval wrote:I really like to know the answer to that. I think it might help SAC users if we know how many of us are there. Right now only Bob knows the number.

This forum may be useful to count the all of us, really. Maybe, putting one online form or something like that...
Audio_Labs

Postby Yuval » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:18 pm

If there was a way to conduct an online survey through this forum it could help us estimate. Right now the situation in which Bob might abandon the product is not a good one for SAC users. If there is a substantial number of users we can maybe use this to our advantage, or at least know better where we're standing. Another option would be to just ask Bob, if anybody has some connection to him. I suppose he wouldn't want the figure to go public but... maybe.
Yuval

Postby gdougherty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:25 pm

What does it matter? A forum poll is pointless in gauging user base.
Knowing user base is even more pointless to the functioning of SAC.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Craig » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 pm

gdougherty wrote:What does it matter? A forum poll is pointless in gauging user base.
Knowing user base is even more pointless to the functioning of SAC.

+1. It doesn't matter. Does SAC work for you now? Then it will continue working regardless of what Bob does. It would be nice for him to release the bug fixes, but since he hasn't made a single update this year, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
-Craig
Craig

Postby randyhyde » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Yuval wrote:I really like to know the answer to that. I think it might help SAC users if we know how many of us are there. Right now only Bob knows the number.

I have two licenses. Does that count at two users?

Also missing from the discussion is the fair number of people who've built a small SAC system and then gone on to something else.
If I had to guess, I'd say high hundreds or low thousands.
And being a business owner, let me suggest that $500 x 2,000 licenses over five years is *not* an amazingly great living, especially with the expensive toys you need to purchase to develop something like SAC. I haven't quite broken $100,000/year in my small sound company yet, and I'm still spending far more than I make every year (between equipment, salaries, insurances, consumables, etc.). Granted, Bob doesn't have all the costs I've got, but I've run software companies in the past and it isn't the high-margin business a lot of consumers think that it is.
cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby gdougherty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:03 am

It's very low margin and probably very low ROI when you look at the time he actually invests in development and figure anything near regular development rates as a comparison.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Return to SAC Discussion