New A&H digital board

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

New A&H digital board

Postby tubetonez » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:31 am

This looks promising if you don't need more than 16 channels:

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ ... uctId=Qu16
tubetonez

Re: New A&H digital board

Postby randyhyde » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:41 pm

tubetonez wrote:This looks promising if you don't need more than 16 channels:

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ ... uctId=Qu16

Well, actually 16 mono plus 3 stereo.

Looks like a perfect replacement for my "B" rig SAC workstation. The only fly in the ointment is the cost of the stage box (to avoid running a 24 send/8 return snake [very heavy and bulky]) to FOH.
For my B rig, I don't have a separate monitor station (I usually put the big rig on the side of the stage and mix FOH wirelessly with a tablet) so the QU-16 works out almost perfectly.
The fact that the preamps are recallable is a *very* big plus.

The new GLD-112 also looks very interesting (though probably six times the price of the QU-16; even more if you add a separate control surface to monitors) and would make a great A-rig replacement for SAC.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby tubetonez » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 pm

randyhyde wrote:Well, actually 16 mono plus 3 stereo.

I didn't read the specifics, assumed the 3 stereo might be either/or mono channels

Looks like a perfect replacement for my "B" rig SAC workstation. The only fly in the ointment is the cost of the stage box (to avoid running a 24 send/8 return snake [very heavy and bulky]) to FOH.
For my B rig, I don't have a separate monitor station (I usually put the big rig on the side of the stage and mix FOH wirelessly with a tablet) so the QU-16 works out almost perfectly.
The fact that the preamps are recallable is a *very* big plus.

They say there will be a Qu-Pad IOS app, which might be easier to use than SAC on a tablet? Combine that with the ability to record mulit-track directly to USB drives, and you've got the SAC/SAW functionality at a similar price point - or considerably less compared to a SAC/SAW rig with better preamps & sound card.
tubetonez

Postby tubetonez » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I perused the manual, a lot of the good stuff "isn't supported in fw v1.0" but then they're not selling them yet I reckon. I did find that there are 3 additional stereo inputs - two are TRS, and one is 1/8". Apparently you can play audio from a USB drive, just can't record & play simultaneously. If the IOS app allows control of playback, that would be handy for filler music and backing tracks.
tubetonez

Return to SAC Discussion