Presonus Studio Live

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Presonus Studio Live

Postby BrettBrandon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Got a last minute call to do sound at a club that has the 24 channel Presonus Studio Live board. Downloaded the manual for it and found out what I needed for the gig.
First complaint, there is no gain reduction meter on the compressors. :o
Second complaint, there is latency between moving the faders and them actually working.
Third complaint, the big row of meters are used for many things and are multi-marked in a way that it's very hard to remember what the hell you are adjusting.
In my opinion it is layed out very poorly, and would never consider one for myself.
At this point with all the other offerings out there, this fell far short for me, and as far as work flow........ it sucked! :protest:

Brett
BrettBrandon

Re: Presonus Studio Live

Postby jlepore » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Believe it or not, there is a gain reduction meter mode. Don't remember how exactly to get there, but you're right - a very non-intuitive board. I use them infrequently, so I never remember from one time to the next. But I DO remember how noisy the preamps are. Hate them!
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby BrettBrandon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 am

I searched the manual again before posting, and could find nothing showing gain reduction meters. I would have to say that in alot of ways its less intutive then SAC.....

Brett
BrettBrandon

Postby jlepore » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 am

Sorry ... had to look for a minute to find it since I know I've used it....

resimg.jpg
resimg.jpg (104.91 KiB) Viewed 22370 times
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby lowdbrent » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I am actually a speed demon on this board. I sell and install quite a few. Kids and old people pick it up. We have one in a venue where 100% of the engineers are visiting engineers. The console is not out front. Everyone mixes on the house iPad. Unless they are tech tards and can't mix anyway, they love it.
lowdbrent

Postby BrettBrandon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:20 am

jlepore wrote:Sorry ... had to look for a minute to find it since I know I've used it....

resimg.jpg

That gives you a view of all the channels. When you are in the "Fat Channel" adjusting the compressor, there is no reduction meter visable while you are making the adjustments.

lowdbrent wrote:I am actually a speed demon on this board. I sell and install quite a few. Kids and old people pick it up. We have one in a venue where 100% of the engineers are visiting engineers. The console is not out front. Everyone mixes on the house iPad. Unless they are tech tards and can't mix anyway, they love it.

That's what I would expect to hear from a sales represenative for the product.
Just ask Bob, he can fly just like superman on SAC with a mouse.........
Suggestion for presonus, when the bank of meters change for the current view, light up the current marked (printed) values for what the meters actually stand for.

I had one day to study the manual without the board in front of me. I am very good at figuring things out and once again I will say that in my opinion, this board is laid out very poorly.... PERIOD!
By the way, I brought my iPad with the Presonus mix software loaded, but it could not find anything to hook up to. :evil:

Brett
BrettBrandon

Postby soundguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 am

Good or bad, the Presonus desks sure are popular. I never have used one myself, but I did talk a friend out of buying one for his "project" recording studio ... of course the sales rep had him convinced it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I saw one in action at a small club with the iPad feature. The irony was that the guy "mixing' with the iPad was standing right next to the console. What's up with that? What's the point?

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby jlepore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

The point was the surface sucks so bad, it's easier to mix it on the iPad. The problem of course is since it doesn't have motorized faders, once you do that you are out-of-sync and have to "re-locate" the faders on the surface.

I would gladly take an X32 before those pieces of junk
jlepore

Postby jlklein » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:13 am

BrettBrandon wrote: That gives you a view of all the channels. When you are in the "Fat Channel" adjusting the compressor, there is no reduction meter visible while you are making the adjustments.

Sure there is. Top right of the board where the sub and main meters are:

Level (Selected Channel)
GR (Selected Channel)
Sub1
Sub2
Sub3
Sub4
Main

HTH,
Jeff
jlklein

Postby lowdbrent » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 pm

I sell them, but I am fast on them anyway. I am fast on lots of consoles. There are lots of things I would change on the StudioLive. They are not perfect. I don't think any of the lines I sell are perfect. They are solutions that meet specific needs for specific people. 70% of StudioLives go into churches, replacing analog consoles, and not much analog outboard. It is a viable solution for them.

I do not like mixing completely on the iPad. I have yet to find an app that allows for this, because there is a bi-directional control issue to ironed out.
lowdbrent

Next

Return to SAC Discussion