watch out 3.1 is on it's way

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: watch out 3.1 is on it's way

Postby jlepore » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Congrats!
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby BrentEvans » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 pm

RBIngraham wrote:Well if you want to be at least a little bit fair about it. No one had any tablet apps 6 or 7 years ago. If/when this is released, yes SAC will be very late to the party and who knows if it will be usable or not, but most of the tablet apps have shown up in the past 3 to 4 years. Yeah, for those of us that have been around for a while, that feels like yesterday, but it's an eon with regards to technology.

There's something else too.. SAC's tablet app is pretty much fully functional (aside from a remotely controllable native reverb). Most tablet apps can't do routing or assignment, and some can't alter effects.

If it's true (as stated) that the EQ is getting a graphic display, that multiple Mackie Control surfaces will now be supported, and the tablet app works multitouch on Win 8, he'll have knocked out three of the four big complaints (the fourth being remotable reverb).

Here's to hopin.. :roll:
BrentEvans

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm

One big complaint that doesn't appear to be addressed is ipad support.
-Craig
Craig

Postby BrentEvans » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Craig wrote:One big complaint that doesn't appear to be addressed is ipad support.

Perhaps, but a multitouch interface on win 8 tablets is at least comparable.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Actually none of that is really on my list at all. Couldn't really care less. But then I'm on the fringes. LOL...

Give me MIDI Control of Scenes. Give me some fricking DCAs that work like they do on every other console, not because I want them to be the same as everyone else, but because those others ones work better. Give me a simple way to assign MIDI controls to any paramter anywhere on the console. Just like most DAWs work. It should be as simple as right click ANY knob or fader or any fucntion anywhere in the software, one of the options would be Learn, you click that... wiggle a hardware knob or fader or send MIDI data from anohter piece of software and presto... that MIDI CC is assigned to that function. Then anyone can create all sorts of freakin templates and surfaces and whatever the hell they want. This isn't really new ideas here. It's probably at least 5 or 6 years old in many DAW's now.

Frankly I do agree with Bob in one big thing... SAC shouldn't try to emulate what hardware does. It's software. So do what software can do much better than hardware. It can be changed up and customized much easier. It can be scalable. And it can ussually do a lot more for less money.

Hardware is good at things like flip a switch and it turns on. It's good at things like everyone's M7 works very similar. Yeah there are options to turn on and off, but everyone's 48 channel M7 has the same faders in the same place, etc...

Don't bother to try and compete with hardware. You'll likely lose. Especially now that there are some decent options for so cheap, like the X32. Just embrace what software can do better.

Only issue is that so much of SAC tries to look and feel like an analog console. Waste of screen space. And then there is all the odd ball key and mouse strokes to try and figure out. And lastly the resistance to actually change things based on what end users would like.

Oh well....

I still wish the guy luck. But if they do make that stage box I would be surprised if it succeeds unless it's able to work with hardware or software other than SAC.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby mathis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 am

Does AMP give us the scene workflow we theatre people want? (I actually came to SAC because of workflow not because of cheap.)
mathis

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 am

mathis wrote:Does AMP give us the scene workflow we theatre people want? (I actually came to SAC because of workflow not because of cheap.)

I agree. I initially looked into SAC just because I wanted something that could host some odd ball effects processing live and ended up mixing the entire show on it. And got hooked on the way it works. With Scene Control and the ability to have multiple simultaneous remotes all connected being two of the big workflow items I really enjoyed. And most other digital hardware consoles didn't provide anything close at the time. Some of them have caught up now and some have surpassed what SAC can do. But doing it all at an affordable price certainly didn't hurt either. Or if money had been no object, I'd have racks full of LCS/D'Mitri hardware and their control surfaces. 8-)

Anyway, AMP is still fairly early in the beta, so I don't want to say too much. But I would say, yes it's scene recall abilities are similar to SAC. Actually the windows remind me of an iLIve. You can create very broad down to very narrowly focused scene recalls. And it does have some Recall Safe abilities as well. There are some other neat features not available in SAC, like linking together the recall of multiple scenes and some simple playback stuff as well (similar to what you might see in an LS9).

That's about all I would say for now. If there is something you really love about SAC's scenes or dislike about them, let me know and I'll make sure to pass that along to Bob Puff. Obviously it's up to them to implement or not, but they are much more receptive to user suggestions than what we are used to.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Let them know I stand ready to break it if they want a real test :mrgreen:
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby randyhyde » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:11 pm

BrentEvans wrote:that multiple Mackie Control surfaces will now be supported,

Well, that would make my day.
The only problem is that by the time he makes SAC overcome my biggest complaints, I'm going to have to be out of this business (getting to old too schlep around the amount of gear that I have).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion