The ramblings of a lunatic mind

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

The ramblings of a lunatic mind

Postby jlepore » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Until you find yourself running at above 70% you should be fine... the extra performance hit will still not stop you from getting most jobs done...

And... yes... machines are getting faster... operating systems are getting slower... it all evens out in the wash.

Bob L

Somehow we went from the "stable at over 90%" down to 70%.

And OS's aren't getting slower - code not compiled for current hardware and OS standards and has to be emulated down runs slower.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Re: The ramblings of a lunatic mind

Postby BrentEvans » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:40 pm

jlepore wrote:Somehow we went from the "stable at over 90%" down to 70%.

That happened when multicore processors became the norm.... old news.

And OS's aren't getting slower - code not compiled for current hardware and OS standards and has to be emulated down runs slower.

This is where he's apparently in a sticky situation. He has an installed base with machines running on different levels of OS, and he has the goal of keeping one product running smoothly across all those. This type of problem isn't unique to RML Labs... with Win7 I had to finally update some apps I've had since the Win98/2000 period, as they just wouldn't install any more, no matter what I tried. Oh well.. 10 years isn't a bad run... but this software is a little different. Dropping XP support means dropping support (i.e. bug fixes, updates, etc) for most of his user base... a number of whom would probably shift to a different product if they had to make a major change to their system. Supporting Win 8 fully seems to mean dropping XP support... what a pickle....
BrentEvans

Postby randyhyde » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:34 pm

BrentEvans wrote: Dropping XP support means dropping support (i.e. bug fixes, updates, etc) for most of his user base... a number of whom would probably shift to a different product if they had to make a major change to their system. Supporting Win 8 fully seems to mean dropping XP support... what a pickle....

Perhaps it's time for Bob to pull a SAW trick and create a *new* product (based on 8.1) that he can charge full price for again. Old people keep the old software, new people get to run on the new OS.

Does it really matter?
Either I'm willing to make the OS upgrade to get the new software features or I stay with XP and the old software. Right now, I'd lean towards the latter unless Bob *really* does something to fix control surface support (not something I'm expecting). He'd have to have some *butt-kicking* features to make me want to risk taking my system to Win 8.1.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby jlepore » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:38 pm

most of his problems is because he refused to code to well established standards. Almost all my code was simply a recompile unless I needed to access specific new features of the OS, which is easily handled by #ifdef's. Lazy coding is no excuse for blaming the OS.

I was compiling for 64 bit back in NT4 (remember the Alpha processors - my code ran on them - even the areas that were in assembler when running on an x86 in 32 bit mode)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:57 am

And from the "I'm surprised it took this long" department:

The "big beg" thread has been removed.

LOL
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby shmick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 am

Bob's checklist for the forum.

Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Return to SAC Discussion