Graphic EQ

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Graphic EQ

Postby soundguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:43 am

OK, not at all a SAC question, but this seemed like the best place to post.

I normally tour and work on larger scale systems, or work in the studio, but I have recently been hired to help out with the sound on some local club gigs now and then. I generally use the in-house piece of junk PA and occasionally drag out a pair of QSC K12 to replace the MONS and sometimes the FOH loudspeakers. I am considering picking up a pair of K10 so I can have some options.

My question is this: I am considering purchasing two to four channels of graphic EQ to help dial in a decent sound at these clubs. I am considering the DBX 215s dual channel 15 band, or the 231s dual channel 31 band. I suspect the 15 band is adequate for "dialing in a sound", but wonder if the 31 band would do better in controlling feedback in the small environment. If the 15 band is adequate for feedback, then it may be the better choice because it is less expensive, but more importantly is only one rack space for two channels, so four channels can fit in a rack 1/2 the size.

I know on paper the 31 band will always be better, but in practical applications, is a 15 band adequate?

Thoughts?

Soundguy

P.S. Yeah, I know SAC and other digital systems have built in options, but let's not go there. :-)
soundguy

Re: Graphic EQ

Postby jlepore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I wouldn't bother with the 15 band - the bands are too wide for real feedback control - you chop so much at a time, you have nothing usable left pretty quick.

hate to say, but if you're going for cheap and small, grab a pair of the B#$%^#inger DEQ2496's. 2 31 bands, plus a bunch of parametrics, plus notches, feedback suppressor, delay compensation, and whole lot more shit. For club crap, I have used them successfully. Added benefit of digital and analog IO and you can use them as format converters.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby soundguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Actually my cost of a brand new DBX 231s is less than 1/2 the cost of the B%@#$*inger unit at Guitar Center or online prices. The 215s is closer to 1/3 the price.

The B is tempting for all of the extra features but that screen sure is small as an outboard piece. Something comforting about being able to grab a fader and pull out a db or two on the spot without flipping through pages of menus.

Anyone else have a thought or care to share their experience?

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm with Joe, 15 bands are next to worthless for anything except some tonal shaping. Not good at all for a problem solver type tool. If rack space was at a premium, and heck even if it wasn't I would vastly prefer to just get 4 channels of parametric EQ. Much better tool for feedback issues. But of course you need to have had the practice to use it effectively, or use an analyser... but you can get one of those for free or almost free now as an ap for your tablet of choice. I wouldn't try to tune an install with one of the cheap toy aps, but they work well enough for feedback notching.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby soundguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah, I'm going the analog route on this one. The products are inexpensive enough that I should be able to resell them at my cost as used.

In digital world, I have learned to use parametric to "tune" the system for a "smoother" result. Analog parametric is a different animal and greater expense. Did I mention "bar" gigs. :-)

Thanks for your input.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I was going to say.... parametric existed long before digital consoles.... I would rather pick up some good analog parametric on ebay than a new DBX graphic or other cheap B stuff clearly you must have some in with Harman to get things cheaper than Behringer even.... but that doesn't really surprise me I guess...
Last edited by RBIngraham on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:49 pm

well, I used a behringer on my presidential gig last week and everything went totally great ... no problems at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist. Haven't actually done any of those for a while now, but next time they call I'll send them to old DumbFuck :mrgreen:
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Hkmorgan87 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I have 6 of the peavey q431fm 31 band eqs. I use them every weekend. Been going for nearly 8 years. And best of all, for the average sound guy, they have feedback lights to indicate which frequency is going bonkers.

I also have 2 of the dbx 2231. But I don't mind using two rack space per eq. I like the longer faders.
Harley Morgan

SAC Host: Asus p8z68-v lx with I3-2120, 320 gb hd, HDSP pci with Digiface, x3 ada8ks.

SAC: 1 x 32, 32channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 10 monitor mixes. 40%

System: Meyer UPA-1C (tops) Servodrive BT7 (subs) Yamaha CM15V (monitors)
http://www.miraclesoundco.com
Hkmorgan87

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

jlepore wrote:well, I used a behringer on my presidential gig last week and everything went totally great ... no problems at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't resist. Haven't actually done any of those for a while now, but next time they call I'll send them to old DumbFuck :mrgreen:

Yes please do....... gotta love that thread.... I can do a better job than this guy even though I have no experience doing such work...... not sure whether snore or sigh is a better sign off on that one?
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby soundguy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 pm

RBIngraham wrote:I was going to say.... parametric existed long before digital consoles.... I would rather pick up some good analog parametric on ebay than a new DBX graphic or other cheap stuff b clearly you must have some in with Harman to get things cheaper than Behringer even.... but that doesn't really surprise me I guess...

Well, I am a dealer for many products including Harman, but I don't have any special "in" that any other dealer or distributor doesn't have. But don't be surprised ... online price (GC, Sweetwater) on the DBX 231s is $200, about $150 less than street price on the B%#@*^inger unit Joe likes.
Soundguy
soundguy

Next

Return to SAC Discussion