An interesting comment...

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: An interesting comment...

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I know some folks that have been using the X32 since it first came out with no problems at all. Isn't that almost 2 years ago now? I don't really remember or care for that matter. But I think it's proven that they are not all going to break down in the first 6 months anyway. I have seen more and more of them in use for monitor mixing with modest sized touring acts.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby randyhyde » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm

RBIngraham wrote:I know some folks that have been using the X32 since it first came out with no problems at all. Isn't that almost 2 years ago now? I don't really remember or care for that matter. But I think it's proven that they are not all going to break down in the first 6 months anyway. I have seen more and more of them in use for monitor mixing with modest sized touring acts.

We shall see. Behringer still has a lot of reputation rehabilitation to use before I'm comfortable using their gear for paying clients. Not saying it won't happen, just that trust from clients is something that has a lot of inertia and will take some time to recover from.

I suspect I'll replace my B-rig (SAC 24 channels) with a QU-16 in the short run. I really need a system that I can send a crew off to without a SAC-trained systems engineer to do run-of-the-mill jobs. The X32 would fit the bill nicely, but I'd have competition jumping all over my bids if I listed Behringer gear (SAC only works because nobody knows about it; though I have lots one big job because I used SAC).

FWIW, I *have* heard of people having problems with X32 units. Doesn't suggest they're bad (you get these reports for just about any product) but you never know. I figure after about five years with the X32, Behringer will be in good shape if the boxes aren't dying any faster than the industry average.
cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby BrentEvans » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:25 am

randyhyde wrote:I suspect I'll replace my B-rig (SAC 24 channels) with a QU-16 in the short run. I really need a system that I can send a crew off to without a SAC-trained systems engineer to do run-of-the-mill jobs.

Are you really willing to give up the expandability? I like the looks of the QU series and their bigger GLD brothers, but 16 channels is really limiting for lots of rental applications. At least with the Expressions you can add a MADI stagebox and get more channels. On the QU stageboxes just replace the internal I/O, they don't actually add processing channels.
BrentEvans

Postby randyhyde » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:51 pm

BrentEvans wrote:
randyhyde wrote:I suspect I'll replace my B-rig (SAC 24 channels) with a QU-16 in the short run. I really need a system that I can send a crew off to without a SAC-trained systems engineer to do run-of-the-mill jobs.

Are you really willing to give up the expandability? I like the looks of the QU series and their bigger GLD brothers, but 16 channels is really limiting for lots of rental applications. At least with the Expressions you can add a MADI stagebox and get more channels. On the QU stageboxes just replace the internal I/O, they don't actually add processing channels.

My B rig is 24 channels. Six of which are consumed by 2 CD players and an iPod cable.
The QU-16 has 16 mono channels and three stereo channels.
So my *actual* loss is two mono channels. I can live with that.
The real issue is giving up all the plugins I use on my B rig. But that's probably a good trade for a board that people can use with far less training.

FWIW, if I go this route I could upgrade my A rig to 56 channels using the parts from the B rig. That would be quite useful on gigs where I need to host multiple acts and the headliner does an early sound check and insists that nothing change on the board (e.g., preamp settings) after the sound check.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion