MIDI Control Templates in 3.1

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

MIDI Control Templates in 3.1

Postby RBIngraham » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:29 pm

Well surprise, surprise, surprise....

The MIDI templates that are released with SAC 3.1 have the channel reorder issue fixed. You can reorder channel strips and all works.

Bob also put in some kind of data thinning when SAC is performing a scene recall with a timed fade. This solved my original issues with the BCF templates (and one of the reasons I really wanted the MIDI CC templates in the first place), which would cause the BCF faders to spaz out during timed fade Scene recalls. I even ran multiple timed fades simultaneously while moving some faders on the surface by hand. And all worked well, faders all responded... no crashes, etc..

The faders do kind of "jump" in spurts now during the timed fade, but I'll take that any day over the previous behavior.

So, gotta say, I know that may not be all that helpful to some, but it will be VERY helpful to me and I'm glad to see the new update.

It also means I hopefully will be bugging Joe less to create custom templates for me! 8-)

Fixing the bug with the SAC-SAW link will be helpful as well. Before if SAW crashed the only way to make it all work again was to completely shut down and close SAC and start all over. Obviously it would be better if SAW didn't crash, but at least when it does, you can restart it now without having to kill SAC and start all over.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Re: MIDI Control Templates in 3.1

Postby leadfoot » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Yep I can confirm that and was surprised as we'll. Used it last night for a corporate gig in conjunction with the Midi designer app on the ipad. Worked great.
leadfoot

Postby RBIngraham » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:55 pm

I just did the ultimate crash test. Two timed fade recalls at the same time, while moving faders on the surface with one hand and with the other hand using the mouse to move a fader (which was on the surface). So far the BCF is responding well and no crashes. In the past I could always make it at least choke and become unresponsive for a while when I would do this. And the worst case it would crash.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby mathis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:53 am

Thank you for the report!
mathis

Postby richswit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Mr. Leadfoot....I also have the midi designer app on my iPad, but for the life of me cannot get it working in SAC. Did you find a template to start with??

Thanks,
Rich
richswit

Postby leadfoot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah It drove me a little nuts when I first was figuring it out too. But when it's all setup correctly it works really well.

I'll do my best to remember and describe what's involved in getting this working..

You need to install a program called RTP Midi on the host and have your wireless router all setup and functioning correctly for starters. RTP Midi is the program that communicates between the host and your ipad.

In Sac, go to Options/midi device setup, and enter the midi device, which should be the name of your host computer that shows up in RTP Midi window, and enter that in both boxes.
In Sac, go into the Smpte/Midi menu and select the Midi-control in active, and out active lines.
In Sac go to the File menu and select Midi Control Template File/open/MidiCtrl_CustomCC_102_Chn_Ver_01.mct (new to Sac 3.1)

On your ipad, make sure your host PC router is selected, not your home network.. (this one gets me every time)
In Midi Designer, go into the config mode and make sure it's communicating with your host. You should see the host name in the wifi box in the connections tab.
In Midi designer, just for simplicity sake, go into design mode and create 1 fader. Tap the fader twice and you'll see the config window pop up. Go to the midi tab, hit the learn button, then move a fader in sac and it will learn it, it shakes for a couple seconds to show that it's doing something, when it stops, it should now be controlling that fader.

Let me know if you get that far..
leadfoot

Postby richswit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks for the quick info....
I'm playing a show tonight and will look at it in the morning.

I had done all the steps..... rtpmidi see's my iPad and connects.

Will give it ago in the A.M.

Rich
richswit

Postby leadfoot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Here's a quick video of it working, just so you know it can be done :)

http://youtu.be/XnXc7oH6smw
leadfoot

Postby Craig » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:32 pm

leadfoot wrote:Here's a quick video of it working, just so you know it can be done :)

http://youtu.be/XnXc7oH6smw

How are you able to change mixers with the iPad? I didn't think the new template allowed for that, or are you using a different one?
-Craig
Craig

Postby leadfoot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:43 pm

That's the Autohotkey script I got from Brett. He really took things to another level with that. In Midi Designer you can create buttons that use Midi notes instead of midi CC, I don't know how he figured it out, but it works outside of the templates in SAC. Basically all it's doing is changing the F key views that I have set up for monitor mix views. Pretty cool. Now that I've had it, I can't imagine using Sac without it. It's nice to have a way to control Sac externally and not be handcuffed with the mouse. Brett's script can control a lot more than that, it's just that's all I need for my purposes.
leadfoot

Next

Return to SAC Discussion