Uh-huh

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Uh-huh

Postby soundguy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:08 am

Just added another NAMM stop to my list.

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/ ... xers/17312
soundguy

Re: Uh-huh

Postby randyhyde » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Was not impressed.
randyhyde

Postby gdougherty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Other than the size, it's not all that impressive other than its another small format digital console and pushing the market along. For a bar band type crew I'm sure it's an option. I've spent quite a bit of time mixing on my ipad with the x32 Rack now and while I love the system, one ipad to mix a real show is a little confining. I get 8 channels at a time and I can't hit DCA's and inputs at the same time, so I spend a lot of time jumping around as quickly as I can between songs. There is also a big difference between the accuracy of hitting tactile controls vs onscreen touch points when you want to do it while looking at the band. I spend half the concerts staring at the ipad.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby gdougherty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 pm

What does look impressive is the M32 from Midas. It looks like it could cannibalize a lot of X32 sales for those that were leery of jumping on with Behringer gear. At first glance it looks like a 40 channel X32 with real MIDAS preamps and MIDAS grade hardware for a MAP of $5K.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby gdougherty » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:49 pm

On a second glance at the MIDAS website, it really is an X32 with upgraded hardware. Any X32 user would be completely comfortable stepping up to one since the control layout and software is identical to what's used on the x32.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby BrentEvans » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:50 pm

gdougherty wrote:On a second glance at the MIDAS website, it really is an X32 with upgraded hardware. Any X32 user would be completely comfortable stepping up to one since the control layout and software is identical to what's used on the x32.

In other words... they did what they should have done in the first place. :lol:
BrentEvans

Postby jlepore » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:11 am

I wonder ... is it a 48K or 96K board. I wonder if it will more easily integrate with the Midas Pro line? Was just working on putting together a show with a midas and x32 rack (to replace a show I traditionally did on SAC) and not sure if I can get past the sample rate issues. Would be nice to be able to share preamps, or at least the AES50 networks between their products.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby karel noon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:35 am

Just Read:

Open architecture allows for future 96 kHz operation
192 kHz ADC and DAC converters for outstanding audio performance

So Right now its an 48khz board, pretty simple
karel noon

Postby randyhyde » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 pm

gdougherty wrote:On a second glance at the MIDAS website, it really is an X32 with upgraded hardware. Any X32 user would be completely comfortable stepping up to one since the control layout and software is identical to what's used on the x32.

Midas really has died.
This is exactly what people were afraid of when the Music Group bought out Midas.
Oh well, low-end trash has worked for Harmon (e.g., JBL). Maybe it will work for Midas too. I just always thought that Behringer was supposed to be the low-end Midas. The Music Group is starting to look like GM with all the cross-company products built around the same platform.

OTOH, this will let someone buy an X32 without having to worry about people bitching about the "Behringer" name on the device. Maybe I'll have to get one :)
Still like the QU-24, though. Very easy to use (and learn how to use).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby soundguy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:12 pm

randyhyde wrote:Was not impressed.

For each job there are many tools. In that regard, I was very impressed and the MAP price point of $1299 for 16 channels was attractive.

Soundguy
soundguy

Next

Return to SAC Discussion