RME Hammerfall Digiface

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

RME Hammerfall Digiface

Postby newmediamark » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi guys,

After being packed away for several months, I'm trying to connect my RME Digiface/ADI-8/ADA8000 rack to my Win 7 laptop via Express Card, and I get nada. It worked fine the last time I used it, so I don't know if settings got changed, or I'm just doing something wrong.

When I connect the Express Card to the Digiface via firewire cable, I get the red light "host error" on the Digiface. When I try to open the DSP settings icon on the taskbar, nothing happens ... the settings window does not open. When I try to re-install the latest driver update I have from RME by clicking on the .exe, nothing happens ... nothing. When I go into the DAW software and try to change the ASIO driver to hdsp, it says "failed"

I'm at a loss here. It worked fine last time I fired it up. Any ideas?

Mark
newmediamark

Re: RME Hammerfall Digiface

Postby BrentEvans » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Did you uninstall the old driver before installing the new one? That fixes things sometimes.

Also, new drivers sometimes require new firmware, so is the firmware on the card up to date?

Perhaps the firewire cable has gotten damaged.

Just some things to check...
BrentEvans

Postby newmediamark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tried a different FW cable, and no I did not uninstall old before installing new so I will give that a try.

Tried flashing the firmware update, but I don't think that can happen if the Digiface is not recognized through the ExpressCard.

Mark
newmediamark

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 pm

The firmware is for the ExpressCard, so it should work IF the ExpressCard is recognized.
-Craig
Craig

Postby newmediamark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm

According to RME tech support, there is no way to tell if the ExpressCard is working ... or if the ExpressCard slot in the laptop is working ... unless the Digiface is working. It is showing the red "host error" light. I picked up an ExpressCard to USB port card to test the slot.

Mark
newmediamark

Postby newmediamark » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:12 pm

I tested the slot with an ExpressCard 34 to USB 3.0 card, and the slot is working fine. This thing worked last time I used it. It's not like it gets "powered up" and takes that hit. I guess time to try for a return from Sweetwater. Nothing else I try seems to work.

Mark
newmediamark

Postby Craig » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 pm

I have one, but it's my backup sac rig, so I can't ship it to you right now. If you can wait until I get a little break, I could send it for testing. It seems like I had a problem like this and finally solved it by either firmware or driver updates, but I can't remember.
-Craig
Craig

Postby newmediamark » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind as I try to resolve this. A couple of years ago I sold my CardBus because my old laptop died, and then about 16 months ago I picked up the ExpressCard 34 for a one-off job with a newer laptop. I seem to remember having problems back then to get it up and running, but I resolved it. I want to think it had something to do with powering up and boot up order. This time I'm stumped.

Mark
newmediamark

Postby Craig » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:00 pm

I still have a cardbus one too that I need to sell. I like it better than the express card. It locks in better and was reliable.
-Craig
Craig

Postby newmediamark » Mon May 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Just to update ... Sweetwater is replacing the ExpressCard, but they do not have one in stock ... so it will take a couple of weeks. In the meantime I am dead in the water as far as recording is concerned, unless I pick up a two channel USB card, which might be a good idea to have around anyhow for utility purposes, traveling, etc.

Any suggestions for a two channel I/O USB card?

Mark
newmediamark

Next

Return to SAC Discussion