Sac Remote Tablet App

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Sac Remote Tablet App

Postby raecher » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi,

I am a Sound Engineer in a church where we are using a SAC Rig with 32 channels since two years. We really like SAC here and it gives us a lot of flexibility to play around with and to develop our skills. We are using remotes as well, either a simple laptop, one colleague uses a convertible, and from time to time I am using an Android tablet with TouchDAW that is connected to a SAC Remote on my laptop (that stands at the FOH), but uses a different MIDI template than the FOH because we are using two BCF2000 for FOH and TouchDAW requires the Mackie template.

I played around a lot with Midi templates, translations, and so on to get it better, but there are, as many of you know, limitations. E.g. I do not get level meters to my tablet displayed which would be very helpful if you have to do e.g. a linecheck without a second sound engineer or conventional laptop. Another thing is that some settings are not really fast to use with this tablet solution. So as many of you, I would like to have a better solution here.

On my travel during all these possibilities, I read a lot of material here and in the official SAC forum. Since I am a software developer and currently dealing with Android development as well, I would like to code something on my own. For this, I think the best solution would be to act as a SAC remote instead of using Midi, since whatever Midi template you use, there are always trade-offs.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but as far as I know, there is no template that gives you the level meter for each channel. In my mind, this would produce too many Midi messages that cannot be transmitted and processed in time.

So, in short: To get started, I need some help, since I am Software Developer but not good at networking protocols. I would like to get in contact with Joe who (as I read) reverse engineered the remote protocol and did (as I read) a great work at Midi templates to share experiences.

Would you kindly contact me via the forum? (Unfortunately, I can't since I am newly registered).

Regards, Raecher
raecher

Re: Sac Remote Tablet App

Postby Paul Henry » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Thank you.
Paul Henry

Postby jlepore » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:27 am

I will get back to you next week. In tour prep mode today, and kinda tied up until mid-next week.

Thanks.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby raecher » Sat May 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi,

I played a bit around and googled a lot and found a board entry mentioning that the Mackie Control template sends level meter data but only if you connect to SAC host. Unfortunately, SAC Remote does not send the data. I compared the template files with a binary diff tool and there was a very small difference. So I tried to use the SAC template in SAC Remote but I had no success.

Does anyone know why SAC Remote does not send the data here?

Bye
raecher

Postby jlepore » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

It's a long complicated story, but remotes do not send out meter data.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Return to SAC Discussion