MOTU gets interesting

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

MOTU gets interesting

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:47 am

Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Re: MOTU gets interesting

Postby airickess » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

As I stated on the other forum, this is quite interesting. It's certainly set up for live, although I don't know how many outputs are capable of being used with the included mixing software. It has 8 AUX outputs but they appear to be stereo pairs. I wonder if they can be split up for a total of 16 separate outputs?
The channel strip EQ is a bit limited with 4 bands (two of which can be switched to shelving). It would be nice to have the shelving EQ plus the 4 bands, as I find I'm using almost all the channel strip EQ bands at times for lavaliers and lectern mics. It also doesn't appear to host VST plug-ins on the built-in console, but these are minor details right now.
I'll be interested to read the reviews on this equipment in the next year or so as it goes out into the wild.
airickess

Postby jlklein » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:45 am

When they come out with Windows software to support it, that would bring remotable stage boxes over ethernet to both SAC and AMP...and THAT would be something :)
I'm currently building a MediaMatrix digital snake from old parts (NION and CAB8i/16o boxes) for remote stagebox use, and this would be a heck of a lot cheaper of a solution (i.e. I wouldn't buy an Nware setup new for my digital snake, but could swing a MOTU setup new).

Jeff
jlklein

Postby lowdbrent » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm

MediaMatrix has much more latency too. The bigger the system gets, the slower all of it gets.
lowdbrent

Return to SAC Discussion