Save Me!

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: Save Me!

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:28 pm

lowdbrent wrote:Actually, you are incorrect about the PreSonus consoles. They just rolled out cascading for existing AI consoles. The classic consoles will not be cascadeable. The new RM series will be cascadeable. The new UC software DOES see all of the consoles as one console. Eventually, you will be able to mix and match SLAI and RMAI, but that is not going to happen this year.

http://www.presonus.com/videos/player

http://www.presonus.com/videos/presonuslive

Interesting. Thanks for the correction and information. So I'm assuming they are doing that linking over firewire somehow? Or is it via the network port? Or is this future expansion via Dante or AVB?

I'm sure this idea will continue to expand. It seems inevitable as those that have come of age with at least an iPod or iPhone are getting old enough to start buying gear or specifying gear.

Are they actually summing together the busses from multiple desks?

Sorry if this is all in the video... it's long and I got bored with all the yakety yack about the interface.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby RBIngraham » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 pm

IraSeigel wrote:Hey RB, How about this:

If you send a L&R balanced signal down a long XLR snake and then adapt it to an 1/8" stereo mini to feed a Gentner-like webcasting box (a Webner, perhaps?), does the signal become unbalanced along the entire length of the snake? In other words, a no no? WWRD?

Ira,

I'm with Tony. Unless you plug the balanced line into an input that is balanced which properly inverts the polarity of one of the two lines and sums them, I would say it's unbalanced. Where does it become unbalanced, well I'll leave that for the theorists and those that like to ponder the meaning of life.

What would I do? That depends on how much time I have to solve it or prepare for it and what I have on hand. The easy way to me would be to just shove my old original Mackie 1202 into line and let it convert from balanced to unbalanced. If it was for an installed system somewhere, I would get a proper transformer or balanced to unbalanced convertor.

If I were in a pinch I would just figure out a way to take one of the two signal lines and the ground from each channel and feed that into the 1/8" and let it be unbalanced. Yes.. you'll loose some HF material depending on capacitance and length of the snake cable. But if you're dealing with some 1/8" input chances are we're not dealing with audiophile quality gear here anyway, right?

How was that?
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby lowdbrent » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:45 pm

PreSonus AI link via FW800. If you want to network the consoles, both would connect to the switch.
lowdbrent

Postby IraSeigel » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 am

RBIngraham wrote:I'm with Tony.
How was that?

I hope I've provided a needed distraction to your day.

The consensus seems to be that Tony is correct. Your idea of the little Mackie mixer, or Tony's of a Whirlwind-type transformer box, would be a good solution. But as you pointed out, for a webcast that is low-fi already, the loss of some HF information wouldn't be objectionable. There were no hum issues in the webcast yesterday, so I consider that to be a success. However, next time I'll do it the "proper" way.

Ira
IraSeigel

Postby jlklein » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:15 pm

lowdbrent wrote:Actually, you are incorrect about the PreSonus consoles. They just rolled out cascading for existing AI consoles. The classic consoles will not be cascadeable.

The Classic series is already cascade-able. Section 5.5 of the 24.4.2/16.4.2 manual:

"A StudioLive mixer can be expanded to make a larger console. Two StudioLive 24.4.2s or three StudioLive 16.4.2s can be cascaded together,
using a FireWire cable, to create a single 48-channel console. Because of the limitations of FireWire, you cannot connect a computer to either of these
configurations; however, you can cascade a FireStudio Mobile or FireStudio Project with a single StudioLive mixer to add more recording inputs.
You can also cascade two StudioLive 16.4.2s to create a 32-channel console with full recording capability, playback, and VSL control."

The only one you can't cascade is the 16.0.2, and you can't cascade a 24.4.2 to a 16.4.2.

Jeff
jlklein

Postby lowdbrent » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Well, they sort of are. They do not function as one console in software. When using Universal Control, only one console is controllable at a time. When connected to the network using the iPad app, you only have access to one console at a time. When storing scenes, you have to store the scenes in both consoles. When recording, you can't use Capture and see both consoles at the same time. You have to run two instances of Capture and then import those tracks into one session of your DAW. So, the old school consoles are not completely integrated together when cascaded. The new AIs are just one large console. Completely different.
lowdbrent

Postby jlklein » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, then yes, the AI's are the only ones that are offering fully integrated cascading.

Thanks,
Jeff
jlklein

Postby shmick » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:53 pm

I see that mr_es335 over on the other forum has taken it upon himself to be the self appointed dummy in SAC For Dummies. From needing the most minor details in the SAC Manual explained, to really having no real concept of how live audio works in regards to signal flow and gain control. It's 100% amateur hour over there. I also see that Bob has all sorts of time to reply to him. I guess these softball questions are just what the doctor ordered to make Bob feel appreciated.

Looking forward to SAC 4.0 any day now, now that the creative juices are flowing!
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby jlepore » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:46 am

That must be an example of "customer service". Anyone that knows what they're doing is screwed.

It is quite funny though ... enjoying a good laugh. Great marketting site now ..... "Look at our typical customer" :lol:

"Why don't my fader match my meter" - I thought it had to be someone screwing with him ... then I got scared realizing it was real!
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Doug_Danforth » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:51 pm

shmick wrote:I see that mr_es335 over on the other forum has taken it upon himself to be the self appointed dummy in SAC For Dummies. From needing the most minor details in the SAC Manual explained, to really having no real concept of how live audio works in regards to signal flow and gain control. It's 100% amateur hour over there. I also see that Bob has all sorts of time to reply to him. I guess these softball questions are just what the doctor ordered to make Bob feel appreciated.

Looking forward to SAC 4.0 any day now, now that the creative juices are flowing!

Yeah - the nerve of that guy. Actually asking questions to learn how to use the software. Doesn't he know it was written by the devil himself.

At least we now have someone new to make fun of since Donnie hasn't been around.
Doug_Danforth

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion