New Audio Card recommendations?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

New Audio Card recommendations?

Postby airickess » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 pm

I need a new card to replace my HDSP 9652 in order to expand my I/O. I want to purchase new, not used. Since I purchased my cards 3 years ago I see that MOTU has gone to mostly USB Hybrid interfaces and RME has changed the HDSP to a single point connection (like what MOTU used to do) to one of their outboard interfaces. Anyone using any of the new MOTU or RME products?
If so, do you think that the MOTU interfaces can handle 36 inputs and a dozen outputs on a single USB 2.0 port? I'm skeptical.
airickess

Re: New Audio Card recommendations?

Postby shmick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:49 pm

The RME RayDAT has 4 ADAT I/O compared to 3 on the HDSP 9652, and it's PCIe based. That would give you 32 ADAT inputs and outputs.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby airickess » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Will the Raydat sync to an existing HDSP 9652?
airickess

Postby shmick » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 pm

airickess wrote:Will the Raydat sync to an existing HDSP 9652?

Yep, it uses the same driver.
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 pm

If you can hold out a bit longer, I would wait and see what becomes of the new Thunderbolt/AVB interfaces from MOTU. If those are reliable I will likely save my pennies and then start to shed all my old PCI based stuff.

Right now they don't have Windows drivers. I was told they trying really hard to get them done. But they wouldn't/couldn't commit to even a rough time frame. To me once those are solid that would be the bomb. Imagine just building a network, drop your sound card I/O wherever you need it and it's your audio interface, snake and distribution all in one. And then either a single Thunderbolt connection or just AVB directly to the computer.

If I had the money for it or one of the theatres I work at did, I would go with the Focusrite Red Net and have the same functionality right now. But it's just too pricey for any decent number of I/O.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby airickess » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 am

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a long wait time. I have a regular gig coming up in November and I found out that this year it will require a bit more than the 24 channels I can provide via my RME HDSP 9652.
airickess

Postby RBIngraham » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 am

So why not just get something used to augment what you have? Just curious....
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby shmick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Yep, a used HDSP 9652 would probably be your best bet if you've already got an HDSP card and just need to expand.
shmick

Postby gdougherty » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 pm

I have a near new RayDAT replaced by MOTU interfaces that's been sitting on my desk begging me to sell it. Only thought in your situation is that an extra 8 channels doesn't seem like much.

Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to look at the MOTU PCIe 424 based setups with the 2408mk3's hanging off them. 2 of them is one PCIe and will run 48 channels over ADAT.

I'd sell my big 48 channel rig, but I'm still holding out to see what AMP can do before I ditch the idea of computer based mixing.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby jlipschutz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 pm

I might be interested in taking that raydat off your hands.
jlipschutz

Next

Return to SAC Discussion