Band fired over SAC failures

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: Band fired over SAC failures

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:53 pm

I somewhat agree. This firing has more to do with the band's engineer and perhaps the band themselves than with SAC's shortcomings. Or at least just as much.

However there are a lot of reasons one might use a VSTi live. What if the VSTi is the instrument in the first place? What hardware should the musician be caring with them then? An old ass Akai sampler? I think not. There are plenty of perfectly reliable ways to host virtual effects, instruments, backing tracks, etc in live situations and have them be perfectly reliable. If it's for a big buck show or some A list act you better have a full blown, simultaneous redundant system set up so only a major disaster would keep the audio from flowing during the show. Oh.. and know how to use it also.. :-)

If these guys were really scheduled to play 8 times and didn't perform once, then they are just as big of an idiot as the engineer. Not sure how a malfunctioning SAC system would cause amps to fail?

Anyway my point is there is no reason to make blanket judgments against VSTi or any plug-ins in live situations. Many acts have been doing that perfectly reliably for many years now and the folks that know what they are doing probably get good money to assemble and operate appropriate systems that would never fail 8 times in a row. They just are not using SAC to host that kind of thing. :D
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:07 am

The VSTi's were 2 keyboards - they only had midi controllers with them and no backup sound modules, etc.
Inexcusable in my book. Even being able to pull out a laptop and run any vsti live host could have worked.
All the tracks they apparently rely on, is another story.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby digitaloutput » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:31 am

Jesus,now that's somethingl! I'll be honest, I did had my share of stupidity with SAC failures,USB card miss function, ADA clocking issues, cable problem, power drop outs causing BOOOMMM :D and so on.It's called learning the hard way, but 8 shows in a row :D Now that has to be a real optimist.
digitaloutput

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:19 am

jlepore wrote:The VSTi's were 2 keyboards - they only had midi controllers with them and no backup sound modules, etc.
Inexcusable in my book. Even being able to pull out a laptop and run any vsti live host could have worked.
All the tracks they apparently rely on, is another story.

Yeah.... it's called Live Professor guys... of if you like supporting the big buck guys there is always MultiRack. Or buy yourself a Receptor... Or Mainstage.... or anything.. hell I found about dozen options in about 2 mins of searching just now...

:roll:

For tracks there are these discs invented in the 80's called CDs.... Or hell an iPod if you must. I suggest you carry one with you that has all that on it. :idea:
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby airickess » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:59 am

My opinion of VSTis is coming from the perspective of a FOH mixer, not a musician. Any of the acts I've seen using VSTis have the rig separate and the outputs going the mixing desk. Hosting them on the SAC computer is just foolish, in my opinion. The musicians should have their own racks and not rely on the FOH guy to have their sounds in his computer. As Joe indicated, that computer system crashes and the musicians relying on those VSTis are done for the night - show's over. Not smart.
The musicians should be responsible for generating their own sounds from their chosen instruments and not put that responsibility on the shoulders of the mixing personnel.
airickess

Postby BrentEvans » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Agreed. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Fully agree...

And the opposite is true as well... just because something goes wrong with the musician's computer doesn't mean you no longer have a FOH computer or in this case... a mixing console at all....

;)

When I've done the virtual keyboard thing it was always on it's own system. And the most intertwined I've every allowed them to be is using digital connectivity between the instrument computer and my SAC system. With an external master wordclock. And they may sit on the same network as that allowed me to tweak their mix from my tech table laptop. But that was because I was working with MDs that were good friends and we trust each other and all the computer systems belonged to me so I had to set them all up and maintain them.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby mattseymour » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:47 am

So, Joe if you don't feel it's giving too much away, is this an issue with VSTi on sac or a different issue. I've never had a show stopper with any of my sac rigs, but I've always followed your posts with interest as you do push your setups beyond anything I've done. I'm hoping I don't see this issue at any of the three big things I do in a year.
mattseymour

Postby jlepore » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 pm

It is not a VSTi issue (although since they did not know how to set them up properly after moving to their backup machine - which also failed - they might want some retraining).
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby shmick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Sheesh. Spill the beans already. What have you got to gain from keeping your cards close to your chest on this one?
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion