Wireless....experience with it crashing SAC?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Wireless....experience with it crashing SAC?

Postby Jeffsco » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Looking for thoughts on wireless remotes and SAC crashing. I know that in the past it's been recommended to run wired remotes whenever possible. Has the newer version of SAC improved wireless Remote reliability?
Jeffsco

Re: Wireless....experience with it crashing SAC?

Postby BrentEvans » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:57 pm

I havent had any crashes caused by wireless in the last several versions. If running more than one or two, its always best to wire stations that won't move. Of course there's always the potential for the WiFi itself to be spotty for various reasons, but in general if WiFi is strong, sac is stable.
BrentEvans

Postby Butch » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:12 pm

Same here no crash problems with wifi but the remote can drop out if signal gets weak you just have to reconnect
Use a very good router and scan for clean channels
Just finished a 12 day LONG Christmas festival 12 acts per day The venue had 28 networks on 2.4g and 4 on 5g. I got a Linksys WRT1900 router and used 5g worked very well up to 125 feet or so. I could not get any range at all on 2.4
It was impossible to have a real FOH position so this made life much better

Butch
Butch

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:01 am

All of my bitching back back in the day caused the 2.8 release which really improved the handling of network dropouts. The good news is if the network just goes away, it handles thing pretty well after that pause. If the network just starts getting weak and garbled so it has to do a lot of retransmits, sac can start hanging for a long time as it gets a good packet every so often and doesn't drop the bad machine. I have seen this make a system almost totally unresponsive (or that whole jerky thing) for 20-30 seconds until the connection finally fails totally.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Return to SAC Discussion