Three Motormixes

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Three Motormixes

Postby BrentEvans » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Ok, I'll try this one here too.

Last time I took all three motormixes out I was getting FIFO errors, which leads me to think I might not have enough MIDI bandwidth. Take one of them out and the errors go away.

Anyone seen this before? If you're using three motormixes successfully, what MIDI adapter are you using?
BrentEvans

Re: Three Motormixes

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 am

Not much of a help, but I've never been able to get three motormixes to work successfully with SAC. Even before they all started to break on me. :-)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby randyhyde » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:02 pm

BrentEvans wrote:Ok, I'll try this one here too.

Last time I took all three motormixes out I was getting FIFO errors, which leads me to think I might not have enough MIDI bandwidth. Take one of them out and the errors go away.

Anyone seen this before? If you're using three motormixes successfully, what MIDI adapter are you using?

At one time I was writing software to try and get 4 Mackie MCUs to work with SAC. I was largely successful getting 2 units to work but when I tried to expand it to 3 SAC started flipping out. Granted, I was burning a lot of MIDI bandwidth to fake SAC into thinking it was dealing with a single MCU, but ultimately it was SAC that failed, not the MIDI interface.

Behringer works (barely) with four because the bandwidth requirements are so much lower (no sending digital scribble strip info really helps).

When I saw how badly SAC worked with my MIDI code, that was when the Kool-aid evaporated for me and I realized that Bob was right -- if you can't use SAC the way *he* intended, you should consider getting something else. Sadly, I don't see the ROI for my business in getting something else at this point, so I've stuck to using SAC the way Bob intended (usually with *no* control surface at all). Painful, but it makes more financial sense than going and buying a different console.

FWIW, I think I'd rather be using SAC in my theater management gig than the LS-9. Scenes in SAC are quite a bit better...

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Yes, three motormixes, the way Bob runs them, is not going to be possible. There is simply not enough bandwith on a single MIDI port for all of that.
If he had taken the approach AMP takes (you can have multiple controllers spread across MIDI ports/MIDI Controllers, there would not be an issue.
The other benefit is you don't need to the SAC version of the firmware to make them work together if you have multiple MIDI ports.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby BrentEvans » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Hmm. Well... Guess I can set up the third on a background remote with a separate interface and use it like an output bank. If only you could link sessions...

Any clue on AMP's release date?
BrentEvans

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 pm

no idea on a date, but I always thought the linking of a motormix to the session was one of the biggest downfalls actually.
Since you have the strip, you really don't need the screen to follow it. The only part that would be nice is to be able to select the mixer.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby BrentEvans » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I do keep my motormixes unlinked from the screen for the most part. I like to move around on the screen without worrying about the faders following. At the same time, if I switch mixers, I'd like the output session to switch too. That would be hard with things the way they are now.
BrentEvans

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Just ask Bob to change it :mrgreen:

:horse:
jlepore

Postby BrentEvans » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:55 pm

jlepore wrote:Just ask Bob to change it :mrgreen:

:horse:

Coming soon!
BrentEvans

Postby mattseymour » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 am

Great! Along with the touch view...
mattseymour

Next