TubeOpto8 death scream

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

TubeOpto8 death scream

Postby jlklein » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:37 am

Hey folks,
Just lost my first ART TubeOpto8 last week, luckily still under warranty for a few more months (yay for 3 yr warranties!). Got a horrible blast of stuttered static on all 8 outputs on one of my 6 units...right at the end of a quiet vocal+piano number during one of the Christmas Eve services (the piano mic was on this unit). Scared the bejeesus out of the whole place. Had to kill the engine momentarily while I regrouped to figure out just what the heck happened before going live again with everything muted. Luckily the Pastor's mic wasn't affected so while he was speaking I was able to investigate more thoroughly and notice that the #1 ART (channels 1-8 for me) was going bonkers on me.

I've got about 8 of these with 6 in normal weekly use in an installed system (2 for the portable system). This morning I swapped the bad one out with one from the portable system until I get it repaired. Other than this I've had no issues at all.

How has everyone else's TubeOptos been holding up?

Thanks,
Jeff
jlklein

Re: TubeOpto8 death scream

Postby airickess » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 am

I had a loud scream moment once with a Tube Opto much earlier this year when I initially brought up the system during a load-in. I cut the engine, power-cycled the Tube Opto and it was just fine. It's been fine ever since. I've had this particular Tube Opto for a little over three years.
Did you power cycle the unit?
airickess

Postby jlepore » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:51 am

Tubes coming loose - bad connection issues maybe? Sounds like something to check, especially if it starts working again so quickly.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby Butch » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:15 am

If it was on all 8 ch s then probably the Wavefront adat chips some of them had problems
The tubes are locked in place very well and not a problem also a bad tube will only effect 2 ch at a time
Just repaired one of my very first units but its problem was dirty phase switches
Once in a while I have to power cycle them but only at startup never during a show
Also check adat cables a loose one will cause noise on all ch s

Butch
Butch

Postby jlklein » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I had channels 1-8 de-selected (Inputs to Off) for the remainder of the service; the ART was still flipping out, but was no longer feeding the system. Its TRS outputs were unaffected (they feed my mains).

I did power cycle the unit a couple of times after the service was done (I'm a Windows guy so that's always my first trick with anything, lol). The static started up again within a few moments of powering up. Glad I didn't try to power cycle it during the service, as when you turn those things off, the associated MOTU ADAT input goes "squeeeeeeeeeee!" at about 6kHz until you power it up again (luckily I did not have my headphones on...). They get powered down at the end of the church day (operation limited to Sundays and some Wednesdays), so are regularly cycled.

Checked all the connections in the back as well (esp ADAT, had that happen once with a loose cable), and all was tight. I've got those nice Hosa "feels like locking connectors" ADAT cables and I've been real happy with them.

As Butch said, tubes are 1 per 2 channels so I didn't bother checking (also been motionless in their rack for their whole lives). I do remember now that one other ART had a switch problem, but it was only the LED indicators (functioned as intended) and ART repaired it quickly.

I've got an RMA in and am awaiting a reply. Still under warranty, so I'm set there, just curious about related issues. Seems like everyone's have been doing rather well overall, good to know.

Thanks,
Jeff
jlklein

Dead ADA8K

Postby randyhyde » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:02 pm

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=17695

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
As the saying goes, friends don't let friends buy Behringer...
randyhyde

Postby RBIngraham » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Yes but in this case here (on this forum), it's ART not Behringer. :-)

Looks like DF finally used the gear enough that things are starting to wear out. :-)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby BrentEvans » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:19 pm

RBIngraham wrote:Looks like DF finally used the gear enough that things are starting to wear out. :-)

So, once?

It's Behringer...
BrentEvans

Return to SAC Discussion