NAAM

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: NAAM

Postby gdougherty » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:03 pm

RBIngraham wrote:
Yep, and I totally get that. Which is why I said if you're walking into a new console or something you don't have a file for, you need the time to do your job correctly. Although I still say that audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The band might hear the difference. But the audience would only perhaps notice a difference in relation to the quality of the performance, which could of course be effected in relation to how smoothly your sound check went. But given the right amount of time to do the job I fully suspect you could make the show sound good whether you just popped your file into an Avid or Yamaha or you were forced to use an old Midas analog. You might be a lot more stressed out, but the audience shouldn't know that. And in the end that is who it should really all be about since they are the ones that ultimately pay everyone. Of course not all bands, production managers (or in my world directors, producers, musicians, actors) and such get that concept. :)

Of course if you're not given the right amount of time to do the job... well then that shouldn't be your fault, even though I'm sure it often is if your world is anything like mine. :roll:

You might be surprised how complex a show file can be on a big show with heavy plugin use and preset scenes for different songs. Some of the show files I've seen on YouTube videos for FOH engineers for national acts probably rival the complexity of a small to medium size Broadway show. Try building one of those in 2-3 hours from scratch without the crew onstage or just running on the fly and see what a difference it makes in terms of refined sound.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby RBIngraham » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 pm

gdougherty wrote:
You might be surprised how complex a show file can be on a big show with heavy plugin use and preset scenes for different songs. Some of the show files I've seen on YouTube videos for FOH engineers for national acts probably rival the complexity of a small to medium size Broadway show. Try building one of those in 2-3 hours from scratch without the crew onstage or just running on the fly and see what a difference it makes in terms of refined sound.

Good point. Of course if the show Is that complex and you're talking about national acts, I would expect them to be caring their own console most of the time. Or am I just not paying close enough attention these days? Or if they are not carrying their own they could afford to specify whatever they really want. Either way same basic outcome right?

And if you're talking about using consoles with plugs, we're really only talking about a couple of options at this point. :-)

Anyway at this point it's all..... :horse:

My only point was really that a good engineer should be able to get decent sound out of most consoles in many (but obviously not all!) situations. And that Ira should be able to use whatever damn console smokes his shorts and not feel bad about it.

Stop taking my rants so literally! :lol:
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:27 am

Most of my touring shows are fly dates, or fly to the bus, do a few, fly out. We don't carry anything we can't fly with (so no consoles or backline). Yes, there are a lot of nationals that are not carrying consoles - I'd say most other than the really big tours that carry everything - sound, lights, at least some staging, etc. If you're carrying your own semi's with you, you can bring everything - if not, you probably rent locally.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion