NAAM

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: NAMM

Postby IraSeigel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:55 pm

jlepore wrote:Sorry, but when I was touring with a multi-grammy winner, I was mostly on Avid's. ....

I probably don't need to point this out, but there are MANY choices to compare the Avids to, not just SAC or AMP. Waves? Gimme a break. We don't need no steenking Waves...
IraSeigel

Re: NAAM

Postby Butch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:19 pm

jlepore wrote: Ask Diamond Rio's guy how he feels about that now ;)

Not surprising I had to help them with their rig at a show last year just a bad adat cable but he could not figure it out . Not the best at eq either but he took suggestions well.
If you are going to use something a little odd (SAC or AMP) you BETTER know how to fix it FAST. :ugeek:

Butch
Butch

Postby jlepore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:06 pm

IraSeigel wrote:
jlepore wrote:Sorry, but when I was touring with a multi-grammy winner, I was mostly on Avid's. ....

I probably don't need to point this out, but there are MANY choices to compare the Avids to, not just SAC or AMP. Waves? Gimme a break. We don't need no steenking Waves...

Sorry, but the Avid is the most rider friendly desk out there. I know I certainly would never turn it down. All I ever plan on is the standard package of plugins, and I carry a copy of the Cranesong Pheonix plugs with me to use. When I'm unlucky, I get the Yamaha's. That is 90% of what I run into out there, with a few oddballs thrown in for good measure.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby jlepore » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Butch wrote:
jlepore wrote: Ask Diamond Rio's guy how he feels about that now ;)

Not surprising I had to help them with their rig at a show last year just a bad adat cable but he could not figure it out . Not the best at eq either but he took suggestions well.
If you are going to use something a little odd (SAC or AMP) you BETTER know how to fix it FAST. :ugeek:

Butch

Yeah .. their system AND their backup system failed - and then they couldn't figure out how to get their MIDI keys to work with their VSTi's. They still never solved the real issue that destroyed their show - 8 times in a row. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Got what he deserved for treating my coworkers like shit and blaming all his problems on them. :lol:
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby IraSeigel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm

jlepore wrote:... When I'm unlucky, I get the Yamaha's. That is 90% of what I run into out there, with a few oddballs thrown in for good measure.

So let me sharpen my pencil and see if I can do some math here. When touring, you say you get Yamahas 90% of the time and a few oddballs, so let's say 3-5% oddballs. So that leaves you with about 5-7% of the time you get the "rider-friendly" Avids. Do I have that about right? So either the rider that you're touring with isn't very airtight, the band/management/agency isn't strong enough to make that demand/preference, or the sound companies/venues you're working with are simply not willing or able to provide your first choice. Either way, "rider-friendly" doesn't mean jack.

And I will, and have many times, turned down an Avid for something else, like an analog Midas.

Joe, I'm not intending to personally attack or insult you, altho it might sound like it. I'm just saying that the marketing hype behind Avid is way overblown, especially with all the new stuff out there since the Profile and SC48 and Venue first appeared.
IraSeigel

Postby jlepore » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Sorry .. I wasn't very clear. Avid and Yamaha makes up 90% of what I get. I will get an avid unless there is already an in-house 5D or M7. Nothing less is acceptable. (I have actually run into a theater that has a PM1D in it and I accepted it as a lark - turned out to be a real cool sounding board, that took up about an entire room with all the I/O racks!)

There are practical limitations. I have run into venues that had an SD8 installed - I took it because I wasn't going to make them strip their room and rent something. All in all, I get what I want when I'm on that run.

For the record, I would never turn down an Avid in favor of ANY analog board. I have really lost the taste for adventure in getting all kinds of outboard gear working, and dealing with non-maintained analog desks. It's just not worth the hassle on a tight schedule. I would not use the new Avid toy however.
jlepore

Postby karel noon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Joe, Could you Tell me why you wouldn't use the S3L from avid?
All your files will work ( maybe some plugins won't) and the quality is stil avid

It is expensive though.....
karel noon

Postby jlepore » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Actually, when we were in the Avid sponsored demo/workshop I did try loading my file. They did not have support for THEIR OWN plugins at the time, so my file failed miserably. The board is also limited in DSP and I/O capabilities. In addition, the tiny control surface makes moving fast and making multiple changes quickly pretty hard. I get you can do most everything on the screen with a mouse, but again, in a live situation where I'm trying to work on multiple things at once (like catching verb/delay cues while still balancing channels or fixing EQ/Comp/etc), it is a bit sub par. I get it's cheap and has the distributed engine vs. controller, but it wasn't enough that I would ever accept it except in dire circumstances.

It was over a year ago, so I don't know what changes they've made (and I know they have their own version of software for that desk, and different editor which scares me for compatibility reasons). If I ever run into a situation where I absolutely have to use it, I will look at it again, but I think it will always be a compromise vs. first class desk.
jlepore

Postby karel noon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:00 pm

I wouldn't consider something like 17K cheap for any 16 channel digital board, that's the price over here in Germany.
karel noon

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:08 pm

karel noon wrote:I wouldn't consider something like 17K cheap for any 16 channel digital board, that's the price over here in Germany.

True, but I think what Joe is comparing it to are all much more than that. They are also larger channel counts than 16. Is the S3 really that low on channel count? Guess I really need to read up on that desk.

Now the M7 is probably around the same price or less than that now. But it used to be a mid $20K desk when new. If you were to buy a new comparable Yamaha like the CL series it would be closer to $30K. The 5D was a $50K to $60K desk at one point in time. And I am just guessing but I bet the Venue was in that same price range and the SC48 was around the same as an M7.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion