bullshit... I mean buisness.. as ussual...

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: bullshit... I mean buisness.. as ussual...

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 am

No... sorry, it's not quite that flexible. It basically has a handful of GUI Window types. The primary two are a Mixer type, which is most of the views Brett is showing there. Think vertical strips where you layout widgets on a per channel type basis. The second is the channel strip type, that shows you details of the settings for any particular channel. That is the last screen shot in Brett's first post above. The other GUI Window types are more specialized like Solo settings, Scenes, What we call Mix Select (which is like Yamaha's Sends On Faders), etc...

Having said that, keep in mind that the GUI and Host are two separate apps. And the Host's API should be publicly available as far as I am aware. That means there is nothing stopping you from rolling your own GUI application that talks directly to the host. Obviously a lot more work... but possible.

There are some other ways that might be possible to do what you're thinking here as well, but they have only been tossed around at this point and so I wouldn't feel it's something that should be openly discussed.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby gdougherty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:18 am

BrettBrandon wrote:Here's one with horizontal text.

As Richard said, you can alter current ones or completely create your own layout including what controls are available and where they are located...
AMP also supports transparency in the graphics unlike sac that lets you do alot more with the gui, especially looks wise.

Excellent, so it's doable if not entirely easy.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby Jeffsco » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26 am

Not fair people....my Visa card practically pulled itself out of my wallet and demanded to be used to purchase a copy of AMP.

The release date cannot come soon enough.
Jeffsco

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:56 am

gdougherty wrote:
BrettBrandon wrote:Here's one with horizontal text.

As Richard said, you can alter current ones or completely create your own layout including what controls are available and where they are located...
AMP also supports transparency in the graphics unlike sac that lets you do alot more with the gui, especially looks wise.

Excellent, so it's doable if not entirely easy.

George, if I can do it... it's really not all that hard. Yeah it's not a check box in preferences. But you could easily handle it. :D

And if the GUI windows have already been made by someone it's as easy as opening a file. There is not just one "look" to the GUI. You can have many different windows open, even multiples that do the same thing in some cases. The only real restrictions would be screen real estate and you can only have one Channel Strip open per GUI instance.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby BrettBrandon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:03 pm

gdougherty wrote:Excellent, so it's doable if not entirely easy.

The difficult part to me would be creating your own graphics. But don't forget that you can use any of the buttons, knobs, ect, already created for your own.
The window layouts are very similar to a css or style sheet used for the web. All you need is a text editor (Notepad++ reccomended).
There is no wysiwyg editor at this point so you do need to designate the size and placement of the control widgets.
BrettBrandon

Postby BrettBrandon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:37 pm

This is an example of what you can do with transparency. The fader scale shows through the fader knob.

Also the buttons are transparent except the text and button outline. That shows the current background without having to create a different button for every different background.
Attachments
08.png
08.png (146.81 KiB) Viewed 21528 times
BrettBrandon

Postby newmediamark » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:22 pm

jlepore wrote:I Last night was Robbie Kreiger (legendary Doors guitarist). It was a hardchoice ... SAC, AMP, or an M7 .... yeah - ok .. not that hard!

Hey Joe. These are my peeps. Robbie, Wayon, Phil, Owen, and Michael on sound. Done a few with Robbie, and lots of gigs in the U.S. and Mexico with Owen, Phil, and Michael ... not necessarily all at the same time or the same band. Did you use AMP with Michael? How'd that go? Michael is a man that I really respect.
Mark
newmediamark

Postby newmediamark » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Sorry guys. My apologies to the group. In an effort to edit my last post to display decent grammar, I managed to get numerous copies up there. I can't figure out how to delete any of them. I only meant to post the last one. Been off this newsgroup too long.

Please advise how to delete my mess.

Mark
newmediamark

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:24 pm

OK, we get it, no reason to post 4 times....LOL

Or am I the only one that sees the post 4 times?
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 am

Yes, I did .. and just posted a video clip of the show and you can see AMP in action.

It performed flawless as expected. Glad they let me use that instead of having to drag in an M7. They were all very pleased and we had a nice easy gig. Robbie can still kill it and Waylon just kept finding new ways to clip my preamps ... amazing how much his power went UP as the night went on!

Always fun mixing a living legend you grew up listening to :)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion