SAC has lost its mojo!

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: SAC has lost its mojo!

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am

BrettBrandon wrote:
jlepore wrote:But it seems like an overpriced version of the same thing is in the main forum - and selling it as OLD versions of the software no less. Wonder how that is?
Are they actually trying to sell a pirated version on that board? I can't think of any other reason you wouldn't at least offer the current versions!

Guess he picked which one he wanted to allow to be sold - although, since it is their first post, and a join date of january, who knows if it's just him doing it to make it look like there's still some value left in it.

I was just assuming that they just got ripped off by whoever sold them the system.
EDIT: Just had a look at their website and it is obvious they spend alot of money, I'm pretty sure they were taken advantage of.

When I started mastering at a place in Nashville in the mid 90's, they had a windows 3.1 computer that came with their DAAD digital cassette duplication system. Pics attached.
I freaked when he told me he paid $15,000 for the computer that came with the system that was over $100,000. Way too much for that computer....
A few months later I built him a new computer that was much faster for under $800.00.
They were also using SAW (the early four track version) at that time for transferring the dat's to wave files for duplication.
I quickly replaced that with Cool Edit Pro as the controls and workflow for SAW were completely abnormal. :roll:

I don't think they were necessarily taken advantage of. First lets assume that price included at least an audio interface and this person is just not savy and experienced enough to list properly what they are selling. I wouldn't be surprised if that price also included preamps as well. So lets assume it was a complete system for $7K. That's not really that bad for a turn key system depending on how many I/O channels we talking about. Remember that seller has to get paid for their time and one would assume they provided some training and support as well. It might be a nice rack mount computer as well... who knows because again the listing is vague and they clearly don't really know what they are selling.

Same goes for the fact that they are selling it as SAC 2.9. That is probably what is on the computer and they don't know any better that they could update the system to whatever the hell the current number is for free. Of course if someone were to buy it, they could potentially update it themselves as well.

As for your duplication computer let's remember that you're talking about the ere where computer prices dropped A LOT very quickly. I assembled my first DAW around '95 or so. I think it was running Win 95. That machine with a 17" monitor cost me $3K and that didn't include software, audio interface, etc.... a few short years later the next one cost me less than half that. Of course that $3K machine probably ran and I made use of it for close to 10 years before I sent it to the dust pile in the basement and I finally recycled it all not that many years ago.

That $15K computer probably was worth at least $3K at the time it was sold and that probably included some custom software, support, etc.... It's all the things we have essentially given up now days for the privilege of buying some cheap shit computer that will be lucky to run for 4 or 5 years before a major component takes a shit and comes with little to no tech support.

So yeah it was a serious investment, but that's just how quickly technology moved along. And it probably was a going price for such gear when it was purchased. In human years it really hasn't been that long since computers became commodity pricing and they took over doing so many of our everyday tasks. The ipad is only like what 5 or 6 years old? And how many generations of them have there been already?

I don't think you're that old that you don't remember Brett. :lol:
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby Gil Navarro » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I've thought all along that he should have some sort of copy protection. I buy the software that I use, always have, but I'd be interested to know just how many people are using illegally transferred or downloaded versions of sac and saw?
Gil Navarro

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Gil Navarro wrote:I've thought all along that he should have some sort of copy protection. I buy the software that I use, always have, but I'd be interested to know just how many people are using illegally transferred or downloaded versions of sac and saw?

Well there isn't really any way to say for certain. Even if Bob would want to share that information. It's not like all those that are stealing it are going to stand up and say "Yep, here I am...." :)

I do know for a fact of at least two folks I ran into over the years that were using SAW illegally. This was before SAC ever came along and I don't remember what versions they were running. Students mostly who likely snagged it off the system hard drive of a system as school. Since all you have to do is copy the install folder and you have the entire application.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby jlepore » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:30 pm

These days I don't think that's much of a problem :)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:32 pm

jlepore wrote:These days I don't think that's much of a problem :)

Probably not, most of the students are running around with Mac Book Pros these days. ;)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby BrettBrandon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:29 pm

RBIngraham wrote:I don't think they were necessarily taken advantage of.

That $15K computer probably was worth at least $3K at the time it was sold and that probably included some custom software, support, etc.... It's all the things we have essentially given up now days for the privilege of buying some cheap shit computer that will be lucky to run for 4 or 5 years before a major component takes a shit and comes with little to no tech support.

I don't think you're that old that you don't remember Brett. :lol:

I really hope they weren't taken advantage of, and the post is really vague, but the person responsible for it has dissapeared...

As for the expensive computer, my first computer (Packard Bell DX2-66mhz with 4 mb of ram and a 640 mb hard disk) that I purchased about the same time he did was under $1,000.00 dollars.
I have to assume the other $14,000.00 had to do with the software that came with it (still outrageous) and it did have 16mb of ram. I paid $220.00 to buy 2mb of ram to bump my system to 4mb (it came with 2mb). But at that time, the first 2 track mastering computer was going for around $50,000.00 (now pennies on the dollar).

As for my age..... I still remember watching President Kennedy's funeral....
BrettBrandon

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Interesting. I know that first system I actually assembled was an original Pentium CPU, 100MHz maybe? I don't remember how much RAM it was. And it had a 1GB hard drive. SCSI drive and SCSI built onto the motherboard. I think the 17" CRT alone was almost a $1k and the system with the monitor cost me $3K.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby BrettBrandon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:41 pm

RBIngraham wrote:Interesting. I know that first system I actually assembled was an original Pentium CPU, 100MHz maybe? I don't remember how much RAM it was. And it had a 1GB hard drive. SCSI drive and SCSI built onto the motherboard. I think the 17" CRT alone was almost a $1k and the system with the monitor cost me $3K.

The 1GB drive at that time and much more than that is the SCSI drive's and interfaces were server level stuff and very expensive. That was not available in the typical home computer, and was not in the computer that I replaced.
BrettBrandon

Postby RBIngraham » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:54 pm

BrettBrandon wrote:
The 1GB drive at that time and much more than that is the SCSI drive's and interfaces were server level stuff and very expensive. That was not available in the typical home computer, and was not in the computer that I replaced.

True but they really made a difference back in those days if you were doing audio work. I think I also paid extra for what were called "AV" drives. I think that was so the drive wouldn't recalibrate itself while writing data. Or some such thing...
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby Gil Navarro » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:18 am

I think the last desktop computer that I purchased as a whole and didn't build myself was a Dell 350mhz processor and 128mb of ram. It was over $1000. I think it cost me an additional $300 or so to put in another 128 Mb ram stick. There weren't many places at the time in the Minneapolis area where one could buy computer parts off the shelf. It must have been somewhere around 1997-98.
Gil Navarro

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion