Will you pay for a SAC update?

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Will you pay for a SAC update?

Yes
20%
No
30%
Maybe, if it finally has feature X
50%

Total votes : 20

Re: Will you pay for a SAC update?

Postby jlepore » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Not sure I'd put the CL5 in the same category. Haven't had my hands on it yet, but those that i trust that have indicate it sounds as good or better than the PM5D it replaces. i didn't like that it looks like they took the same BS UI from the M7, but at least they took the good electronics.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby RBIngraham » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

jlepore wrote:Not sure I'd put the CL5 in the same category. Haven't had my hands on it yet, but those that i trust that have indicate it sounds as good or better than the PM5D it replaces. i didn't like that it looks like they took the same BS UI from the M7, but at least they took the good electronics.

Well I know Yamaha reps don't like it when I think of the CL as the M7 replacement. But that is sure what it looks and feels like to me. I can not comment on sound quality since I have not spent that kind of time with one yet.

The QL feels like the new LS9 to me.

Our rep hates when I say that because they have such better feature sets. But my response has always been well, when you bring out a new version of course it's going to be better.... or no one would buy it. :D

I think the CL is basically trying to replace the M7 and PM5d or sit in between them, since there are so many sizes variations in that class. And the new Riage replaces the old PM1d but also the 5d as well in my book. Haven't seen one of those at all yet.

Someone must like that Centralogic crap because they stuck with it for the CL.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby airickess » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 pm

RBIngraham wrote:I like the Qu series and think they are a good desk. But let's remember here that you've replaced your SAC system with what is essentially a 16 input x 12 output system. Of course since it has the ability to do the personal mixer thing the output count is a bit deceiving since it could handle more personal mixes if you add the boxes. But it's never going to have more than 16 inputs plus a few line level inputs. Any playback via USB chews up inputs as well.

But to be fair it's hardly an apples to apples comparison here. Love it or hate it, SAC does have at least the potential of a lot more I/O and routing possible. The Qu will probably serve you well and be a much better tool for the type of work you seem to be doing. But let's be realistic, you're not going to use it to mix musical theatre with dozens of wireless a full pit band, plus playback and all the necessary routing. It's not really in the same league to use a dumb analogy.

You're correct in that I will not be doing any musicals with this console. I still have a 32-channel SAC rig for that and it is a better choice for the type of musicals I do for one of my clients. I purchased this console to do the corporate events and dinners in ballrooms gigs. 16 inputs and 12 outputs is plenty for these gigs. If I need more I/O I will break out the SAC rig and use that instead, but the vast majority of the gigs for which I am hired can easily be covered by the QU 16.
Just to give you some idea of the nature of things here in L.A., when a band is hired for a dinner or ballroom event (and I mean a full band or even big band, not just a few folks with guitars), they are typically hired through booking companies and these bands will, more often than not, bring their own consoles and FOH engineer and then simply send a feed to the console that is feeding the P.A. The BE just mixes the band - there is a separate guy hired to mix the entire event.
airickess

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion