SAC gig report....

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

SAC gig report....

Postby Jeffsco » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:51 am

Wanted to share a positive experience with SAC this past weekend. Ran sound for the Paul Black Band. They are a mostly original Blues act in the vein of Stevie Ray Vaughan and other Texas Blues shufflers...but a lot more energetic and danceable upbeat grooves. Set up in a Sports Bar so I had virtually no sound check. Ran SAC FOH via a Lenovo X200 Tablet. First time out with a new Amp Wireless Router. Connected at 5.0 ghz.

These guys are all stellar musicians..the Hammond player is a well known local Producer and Engineer...so it was a little intimidating. However...SAC performed flawlessly.....no drop outs on the wireless, no problems with the Appsys Digital snake...in fact...the band all commented on how Clear everything sounded. They could hear every note they played. That was not the norm for them.

So it looks as if I'll be working with them again on a few more gigs coming up. Thanks to the Forum for the advice, comments, warnings and critique.

A vid from a year or so back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKcgneXqv8k
Jeffsco

Re: SAC gig report....

Postby Jeffsco » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:34 am

The other thing of note was that I delayed my front end to line up with the Back Line. Made a huge difference. I used 1 sub...set up in front of the stage at the center. Paul...the guitarist and singer was hearing 2 distinctive bass notes...especially on the low E. The Bass player's amp was back about 10 feet. I delayed the front end by an appropriate amount and problem was solved. Very happy that I had the ability to do that.
Jeffsco

Postby randyhyde » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Jeffsco wrote:The other thing of note was that I delayed my front end to line up with the Back Line. Made a huge difference. I used 1 sub...set up in front of the stage at the center. Paul...the guitarist and singer was hearing 2 distinctive bass notes...especially on the low E. The Bass player's amp was back about 10 feet. I delayed the front end by an appropriate amount and problem was solved. Very happy that I had the ability to do that.

Roughly 10ms? They've got some pretty impressive ears.
Also note that at around 5 ft (from the sub or the bass amp, that is, halfway in between them) the sound waves should be hitting at the same time. This would suggest some other effect was causing them to hear two notes (perhaps an echo from somewhere?)
randyhyde

Postby jlepore » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Phase does some really unpleasant things. That difference would probably thin out what he was hearing.
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby randyhyde » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:36 pm

jlepore wrote:Phase does some really unpleasant things. That difference would probably thin out what he was hearing.

Yeah, I suspect that "hearing 2 distinctive bass notes" was not the correct communication for this situation, unless he was talking about hearing one thing near the amp and a different thing closer to the sub.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Return to SAC Discussion