EQ range

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: EQ range

Postby BrentEvans » Fri May 01, 2015 7:34 pm

RBIngraham wrote:I've worked plenty of high end gear thank you, d&b, Nexo, etc... I don't waste my time with freq resonce or how loud it can get or most specs for that matter because as you say real world and what some test gear tells you rarely match up.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this just like how many bands of EQ one should really need to properly mix a show. :-)

But I am glad to hear that maybe with some new speakers you are tackling the real issue in that gym so perhaps you don't need EQ city to get proper gain before feedback. ;-)

There is certainly much less eq required in this rig. I also don't have to push it to the max to get what I want. It's coasting through. The real test will be layer this year though.

I'll stick on one point. Even high end commercial gear does not have the same kind of HF response this rig does. The ribbon planars in these boxes are heavy duty versions of ribbons used in studio monitors (4x power handling and 6db more sensitive with no hit to frequency response). Compression drivers, even great ones. just can't do it. I've been in those rigs too... This design just sounds better.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Alcons actually use ribbons and they sound very nice. I am glad you found something you like, but I have never bedn lacking for high end in any of those systems. In fact many times I am cutting high freqs in vocal mics. I get plenty of definition on cymbals. Just saying...

There are more important things than responce over 15K to me. I suspect that is not the primary reason you prefer their sound.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby BrentEvans » Fri May 01, 2015 8:42 pm

RBIngraham wrote:Alcons actually use ribbons and they sound very nice. I am glad you found something you like, but I have never bedn lacking for high end in any of those systems. In fact many times I am cutting high freqs in vocal mics. I get plenty of definition on cymbals. Just saying...

There are more important things than responce over 15K to me. I suspect that is not the primary reason you prefer their sound.

It's not the primary reason, no. But... Aren't internet forums designed for the discussion of minutae?
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 01, 2015 9:41 pm

LOL.... I guess so...
But I prefer to use them to disspell myth, point out BS before one steps in it and call a spade a spade, even if all the jokers protest. :-)

Not speaking of you, but I think you know of what I speak..
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby IraSeigel » Sat May 02, 2015 12:15 pm

My understanding of ribbons used in PAs - and perhaps my knowledge is a bit dated - is that they don't have the throw that a compression driver does. So altho you may be listening to huge "studio monitors" - which, of course, are designed to be listened to from 10-20' away in a fixed "sweet spot" - the PA won't throw or disperse that high-end like a "standard" driver can do. Perhaps in a line array it's different?
IraSeigel

Postby BrentEvans » Sat May 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Line array is very different, but only because of the factor which makes it different from point source. The truth is that the inverse square law applies equally to ribbons and compression driver horns. Ribbons typically just aren't loud enough for pa. These are different, as they're designed for high power. Put ten or twenty in a line array and you have something sweet.
BrentEvans

Postby Butch » Sun May 03, 2015 6:10 pm

So what are those magic ribbons ? make and model please
Hope they are NOT the ones used in the PeaVey Versaray :lol:

Butch
Butch

Postby BrentEvans » Mon May 04, 2015 8:02 pm

They're not currently commercially available. That may change soon though. We're working on a distribution deal with the manufacturer.
BrentEvans

Postby randyhyde » Thu May 07, 2015 11:39 am

RBIngraham wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:
RBIngraham wrote:The better question would be why? :-)

No I meant why bother making a system at all that can actually reproduce those frequencies when probably 3/4 of audience members or more can not hear much (if anything) above 15K

Make that 10K and I'd agree whole-heartedly :)
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion