EQ range

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

EQ range

Postby BrentEvans » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm in the process of upgrading my FOH speaker system and the new rig has much better HF response... It goes to 30k. So the dogs can hear...

Anyway... It has usable response above 15k. SAC EQ centers stop at 15k. How annoying.

One of you Amp guys can jump in and tell me how great the AMP EQ is now... And spill a release date while youre at it.

Im going into summer gig season (arent we all) and boy... Wouldnt it be nice...
BrentEvans

Re: EQ range

Postby Butch » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:51 pm

OK so what speakers actually go to 30K
Now you will have to buy one of the really expensive earthworks mics to eq them with

Butch
Butch

Postby BrentEvans » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 pm

They're custom built line arrays using a proprietary planar hf driver Design.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 01, 2015 9:35 am

The better question would be why? :-)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby BrettBrandon » Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am

BrentEvans wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading my FOH speaker system and the new rig has much better HF response... It goes to 30k. So the dogs can hear...

Anyway... It has usable response above 15k. SAC EQ centers stop at 15k. How annoying.

One of you Amp guys can jump in and tell me how great the AMP EQ is now... And spill a release date while youre at it.

The highest eq value is "19912".
Sorry, nothing on the release date....
BrettBrandon

Postby BrentEvans » Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 pm

RBIngraham wrote:The better question would be why? :-)

Because adjustments between 15k and 20k are noticeable on this system where stuck adjustments aren't on most. listening to this rig is like having a studio monitor system for your PA.
BrentEvans

Postby BrentEvans » Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 pm

BrettBrandon wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:I'm in the process of upgrading my FOH speaker system and the new rig has much better HF response... It goes to 30k. So the dogs can hear...

The highest eq value is "19912".
Sorry, nothing on the release date....

That'll do nicely. :lol:
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 01, 2015 2:04 pm

BrentEvans wrote:
RBIngraham wrote:The better question would be why? :-)

Because adjustments between 15k and 20k are noticeable on this system where stuck adjustments aren't on most. listening to this rig is like having a studio monitor system for your PA.

No I meant why bother making a system at all that can actually reproduce those frequencies when probably 3/4 of audience members or more can not hear much (if anything) above 15K and then in a live situation there is typically so much din noise in that freq range that unless it's taking your head off it's going to just be masked anyway. Even in a quiet environment like theatre you have moving lights, AC, sometimes refrigeration, people noise, lots of soft goods that are going to soak that up. Not to mention that often it's not really that pleasant of a freq. range anyway from a musical point of view.

Waste of time in my opinion unless you're building a recording studio.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Postby BrentEvans » Fri May 01, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm in a gym this week with noisy heaters. It's a youth event. Having response in that range increases intelligibility greatly. There also content there for acoustic stringed instruments, particularly strummed ones, and plenty of sizzle from cymbals.

While it is true that the elder portion of the population has reduced hearing in that range it's not like it drops like a rock at a certain age or frequency. If I play an 18k tone I can't hear it but I can hear a 1/3 octave eq boost centered there. Hearing is a funny thing, and standard hearing tests don't always give a good report of broadband hearing sensitivity.

If you've never worked on a PA that can do this, it's hard to grasp.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I've worked plenty of high end gear thank you, d&b, Nexo, etc... I don't waste my time with freq resonce or how loud it can get or most specs for that matter because as you say real world and what some test gear tells you rarely match up.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this just like how many bands of EQ one should really need to properly mix a show. :-)

But I am glad to hear that maybe with some new speakers you are tackling the real issue in that gym so perhaps you don't need EQ city to get proper gain before feedback. ;-)
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
RBIngraham

Next

Return to SAC Discussion