Motormix (x3) losing sync - possible fix

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Motormix (x3) losing sync - possible fix

Postby BrentEvans » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Been having a problem keeping my trio of motormixes connected to SAC Remote for any length of time. Sometimes they'll go a couple of hours, sometimes just a few minutes before becoming unresponsive. It was to the point that I had stopped using them becasue even with one or two it would drop out.

I thought it might be the MIDI interface, so I tried a different one (built into a Motu 8pre I have around, which it turns out isn't compatible with Asus I3 laptops, anyway...) and still had the same problem. I noticed that when it was happening, the laptop was also becoming unresponsive for a moment before resuming activity. Then I noticed AVG was popping up scan notices shortly afterwards. Disabled AVG... system ran for a couple hours, then went down again (again, with a glitch in the laptop).

Just for shiggles, I tried turning on Realtime priority in the Remote menu (and verified that it does actually change the priority). So far, it's been running nonstop for 6 hours with no glitches. I'll leave it overnight. If anyone else has been having problems like this, I'd appreciate some verification if you have time in the next couple of days... I've got to go out with the rig for two weeks starting Sunday and hopefully this fixes it.

TIA
BE
BrentEvans

Re: Motormix (x3) losing sync - possible fix

Postby jlklein » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am

(Might as well respond here, too)

I've got two pairs of Motormixes for our FOH and Record stations, and had also used them on our portable system when needed. Initially we had numerous issues with one or both of a pair dropping offline, coming back after a reboot of the MIDI interface (power cycling the Motormixes didn't help).

After some discussion with Carl at CM Labs (and hearing his opinion of our M-audio interfaces), we tried the Roland interfaces that he recommended and that took care of the problems. I believe it's the UNO version, with the integrated MIDI leads.

Lately our Recording Motormix pair has been having problems with the 2nd of the pair dropping offline, which also stops any MIDI message return to SAC, so while the first still-working Motormix is still up, and will physically follow any software manipulations done onscreen, the software will not follow physical movements.

I did some troubleshooting on the pair this past weekend and ended up replacing the MIDI jumper cable between the pair of units as it was rather tight. I got too short of a cable (1' whereas it really needs 1.5'-2.0') so I suspect that it was experiencing some wear.

As that was a short "retest", I'm doing more testing during tonight's business meeting and should know if that was it.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
jlklein

Postby jlepore » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 pm

I've had that jumper between the two go bad and cause all kinds of strange problems too.
Almost seems like when hard connecting two units together they should just jump them internally as well, but I suppose the flexibility is a good thing - especially since you can use them on multiple interfaces with AMP to improve the performance (and not have such high utilization of the MIDI bus)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby IraSeigel » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:48 am

No, no, and NO! The ONLY true fix to this problem is to free your mind from the lie that you need physical faders. EMBRACE THE BOX! Faders are so last century. Keyboard shortcuts and a mouse are all you need.
EMBRACE THE BOX...

:protest:

(Hello? Testing. Is this thing on?)
IraSeigel

Postby BrentEvans » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:53 pm

See what free speech does to a forum?
BrentEvans

Postby jlklein » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:33 pm

LOL, Ira!

Brent, we had about a 2 1/2 hour business meeting last night and replacing the jumper MIDI cable between units 1 and 2 did the trick, no issues all night.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
jlklein

Postby BrentEvans » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 am

I think I've got it resolved. It's been running for over 24 hours now with no hiccoughs. The usb power setting was the key.
BrentEvans

Return to SAC Discussion