SAC 4.0 has arrived

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: SAC 4.0 has arrived

Postby BrentEvans » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Haven't gotten to listen to it critically yet.

There will be a dante card next year with a new stagebox supposedly more in the price range. Don't know if any other yamaha cards work or not.
BrentEvans

Postby RBIngraham » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:58 am

No, the TF has a new format card that allows for more I/O channels than before.
Richard B. Ingraham
RBI Computers and Audio
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/
SAC details and goodies at: http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html
RBIngraham

Postby BrentEvans » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:31 pm

Ok... hooked it up in the shop and set up my keyboard and a vocal mic. Not that I'm a world class artist, but it's a good reference point for my own ears.

The pres are quite nice. I would call them transparent... they're not sterile but not specifically "warm" either... just clean. Processing sounds good, EQ is quite usable. I don't like that you can't feed one FX send into another, but you can get around this by putting FX on the stereo busses if you need that.... but those FX can't go into monitor sends (the two dedicated busses can).

USB Drive recorder can only record FOH and Aux1-8 which are the mono auxes, and Yamaha confirms this is the design... but they listened to my feedback and submitted the request to have a stereo bus feed the recorder. No big deal, really... you can record anything off the USB computer interface. It's a minor limitation, but hey... they listened and submitted the request. No calling me a thief and asking where my receipt was... heck... at that point I hadn't even bought the darn thing.

I think the truth is about the $1k-$3k digital console market is that they're all going to be missing SOMETHING and they're all going to so something REALLY WELL. You just have to decide which something it is you can live without. The TF sounds great and the scribble strips are AWESOME. Better than anything else in the price range. Less flexibility in routing and FX (although that might change... it certainly did on the Si Expressions and AH Qu lines. 8 DCAs on a board of this size is killer (Si Impact will have that too, but lacks recording capability and is limited ot 32 channels and unshared MADI stageboxes).
BrentEvans

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion