Known working hardware

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Known working hardware

Postby mattseymour » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 am

This thread aims to gather info on known working hardware. Particularly useful if you can post info on components that are still available to buy new, although things posted here will likely go out of date before pressing submit. Still, here goes:

I've just built a system based around MOTU interfaces, using the 424 pci-x card.
CPU: intel core i3-2120
Motherboard: gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV rev2.0
Firmware: FD
Graphics: CPU internal
Ram is generic dual channel

All is running well, dpc latency checker reports peaks of about 400, mostly sits around 55.
The system is happy at 64 buffers and will support 72 channels across 6 mixers with eq and dynamics on every channel.
Happy recording with reaper to an external USB disk.

I've got this in a 1u case so needed to manage the fan speed more than the bios permits. The included windows config tool should not be used. It causes severe dpc latency each time it polls the hardware status.

I've successfully used speedfan to keep the CPU fan quiet while retaining temp control.
mattseymour

Re: Known working hardware

Postby Phil » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 pm

I have been running e8500 with raydat cards, ada8000, bcf2000 for 2.5 years. Dropped voltage to ada8000 to 100v. 64ch. Been solid.

I would add passive volume pots for hardwired IEM feeds and the remote gain mod to the ada8000's otherwise, pretty happy.

I have a second 24ch system built for portable. E8600 SSD digi9652 card, ada8000. Hope to add remote gain control.
Phil

Postby mattseymour » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:55 am

I think it's quite important... nay vital even, to give the PC hardware you're using, so motherboard make, model and bios version, graphics and any networking hardware. We know SAC will work on pretty much any CPU you might be running, and the audio cards are also a given.
mattseymour

Postby soundguy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:35 pm

mattseymour wrote:I think it's quite important... nay vital even, to give the PC hardware you're using, so motherboard make, model and bios version, graphics and any networking hardware. We know SAC will work on pretty much any CPU you might be running, and the audio cards are also a given.

Yep. In fact "differences in mobos" was one of the main reasons Lentini offered as an excuse for not being able to solve problems before he bailed. I think it's a good idea to be specific about mobos and bios versions, or what "off the shelf" specific computer model number you are using.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby derekvw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:39 pm

My system:
Core i7 2600
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 WS
Ram: G-Skills Ripjaw 8GB/1600MHz DDR3, Dual Channel
Drives: Crucial M4 128GB SSD, (OS) Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black, (Recording) Asus DVD-RW (Optical)
CPU Cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer Pro v2
Graphics: Sapphire HD5420
Case: Rosewill RSV-R1000
PSU: Corsair CX500 V2
Sound Card: RME Raydat HDSPe (2)
Buffer: 1x64
Preamps: 8 - Behringer ADA8000s

I haven't really put it through any major tests but I'm going to be doing 6 mixes with 48 channels this Sunday. I'll report back and let you know what my usage indicator is.
derekvw

Postby gdougherty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:13 pm

soundguy wrote:
mattseymour wrote:I think it's quite important... nay vital even, to give the PC hardware you're using, so motherboard make, model and bios version, graphics and any networking hardware. We know SAC will work on pretty much any CPU you might be running, and the audio cards are also a given.

Yep. In fact "differences in mobos" was one of the main reasons Lentini offered as an excuse for not being able to solve problems before he bailed. I think it's a good idea to be specific about mobos and bios versions, or what "off the shelf" specific computer model number you are using.

Soundguy

Just to be fair, Bob did not "bail" except for on maintaining official forums. At least there is no real evidence to the contrary. Only supposition. His current model though is really not much different than MOTU's which in many circles isn't saying much, though it's much easier to actually get Bob on the phone if you need support.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Postby soundguy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am

Just to be fair, Bob did not "bail" except for on maintaining official forums. At least there is no real evidence to the contrary. Only supposition. His current model though is really not much different than MOTU's which in many circles isn't saying much, though it's much easier to actually get Bob on the phone if you need support.

"Bail" is certainly a slang term, and you are correct that he did not jump out of an airplane. But he did abandon his primary tech support system because it exposed too many problems. Yes, he can be reached by phone or private email, but the user is left to the mercy of one person who has outdated and discontinued development computers, and has clearly stated that moving forward, SAC is not for those who are not willing to accept it for what it is ... in so many words. It seems to me that has become an excuse to ignore a problem, rather than a reason,

The AWOL forum and this forum serves the purpose of a user group trying to duplicate a problem, even when the official tech support solution is "not happening here" or "don't do that". In that regard, he has bailed on participating in solving problems, of which there are many.

Soundguy
soundguy

Return to SAC Discussion