SAC feature requests.

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: SAC feature requests.

Postby DaveS » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm

I would like to see Host Timing added so that my delays and RMX and such would have 'one clock to rule them all'. Trying to route clock to various plugins right now is a pita.
DaveS

Postby shmick » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 pm

kylesoundman wrote:This forum has been up for what two weeks? and people have already gone from requesting new features(which is pointless on this forum) to bitching about not getting them quick enough(which is also pointless to do on this forum).....I don't blame Bob one bit for taking the forum down! If someone on here thinks they can create a better software based mixing system than SAC then DO IT! In the meantime I will keep using SAC because it just works for me and has flawlessly for over 2 years! All these people that keep asking for the remote API to create control surfaces unless its to create an app for the Ipad there is no point. SAC was never intended to have "faders" the whole point is to not have to carry a console or bulky crap around. Using SAC with a fader pack is like sucking your thumb and carrying around a safety blanket because you don't want to embrace something new. SAC will never be rider friendly bottom line. As far as quicker or slower goes....the amount of time saved not running a 300 foot snake saved you all the time in the world to work with the artist to get their monitors right! The way I see it, the reason the forum is down isn't because of Bob its because of whining from disrespectful people and he simply did what ANYONE would do in his position or what any parent would with their 5 year old child that wont listen or stop crying to get their way! I am done ranting now!

Seriously?

Ever tried to move 2 faders in different directions with a mouse? It sounds like your mixes are are pretty stale or you're mixing the exact same thing each time and have scenes for it all. I use a fader pack. I don't use it too often, but it's definitely a requirement.

It's great that SAC is working flawless for you. It's also working pretty well for me, though I think we can both agree that it's lacking in certain areas and in fact, Bob has stated that some of these missing pieces would be "coming soon", though that never seems to be the case.

If Bob doesn't want people complaining on the forum, then he can either address the complaints or do what he's done and take down the forum. As of right now this forum looks to have over 40 registered, legit users and looks to be growing on a daily basis. Censoring your customers to save face doesn't really work.

Also, we are not Bob's whining children, we are Bob's customers. The ones who trusted him enough to pay him for his software, the one's who are essentially evangelizing the use of SAC and the one's who, up until recently, would also tell people that SAC is continually evolving and that you could probably expect feature X, Y or Z to be part of SAC soon enough.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby sjpaul » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 am

SAC isn't the only product out there running remote software based mixing. Presonus' StudioLive mixers for example are able to be set up side of stage and run with (gasp!) an iPad app.... and can also be used to record multi track at the same time. Yamaha also have a pretty decent iPad app for their mixers... Allen & Heath for their iLive, etc....

I think it's a shame that Bob has felt the need to pull the plug on the official forum, and reflects somewhat poorly. People are always going to ask for the moon on a stick; what you shouldn't do is get personally involved in each and every discussion defending why you won't add such and such a feature. Let the forum community discuss and let the developer spend time enhancing and fixing the product...

I actually don't own SAC any more, but have been considering another license to build a small system again; however I'm now dubious about doing that without official support.
sjpaul

Postby shmick » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 am

The iPad accounts for almost 70% of the market share for tablets. This is not a "fad" device by any stretch of the imagination. The development kits and support around iOS apps are also second to none, which is why you see _almost_ everyone coming out with their apps.
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby Eric White » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 pm

An API release is capable of making Bob a ton of money due to flexibility. I could not care less if the rig is rider accepted or not. I work with several bands that think its the coolest thing since sliced bread. Yamaha, Soundcraft etc.. they have multiple markets from consumer to pro. A very well diversified portfolio to keep the company afloat. SAC and SAW need (in my opinion) 3rd party support to bring in the business. I think it was 3rd party addon product development that made the IBM PC what it is today, because clearly the 68000 microprocesor based apple MAC was superior. Anyone saying that Bob would have to support all the different surfaces is a little ludacris. Thats like asking Intel to support every program written to run with their platform. They developed the gateway...its up to the 3rd party to support their own hardware after that.

I want an API so i can modify the existing BCF2000 to include a scribble strip on a meter bridge looking attachment. I also want to incorporate a headphone amp directly in the mixer...why?? I cannot even begin to expect a keyboard player or drummer to fiddle with a laptop on stage to adjust their mix. They would be acceptable to a small format mixer that they can see the text label of the channel and then fader jockey their mix on the fly while performing.

Feature request ?? i would love to see a relative change option in the scenes instead of absolute changes. How many times I've needed to boost something for solos or make minor changes for just part of a song, an then revert right back to the setting I had prior to the scene (or solo change).

Glad to see a continued forum for discussion...for what its worth.
Eric White

Postby soundguy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am

Eric White wrote:Anyone saying that Bob would have to support all the different surfaces is a little ludacris.

Only bob is saying that.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby ekimtoor1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:13 am

kylesoundman wrote:This forum has been up for what two weeks? and people have already gone from requesting new features(which is pointless on this forum) to bitching about not getting them quick enough(which is also pointless to do on this forum).....I don't blame Bob one bit for taking the forum down! If someone on here thinks they can create a better software based mixing system than SAC then DO IT! In the meantime I will keep using SAC because it just works for me and has flawlessly for over 2 years! All these people that keep asking for the remote API to create control surfaces unless its to create an app for the Ipad there is no point. SAC was never intended to have "faders" the whole point is to not have to carry a console or bulky crap around. Using SAC with a fader pack is like sucking your thumb and carrying around a safety blanket because you don't want to embrace something new. SAC will never be rider friendly bottom line. As far as quicker or slower goes....the amount of time saved not running a 300 foot snake saved you all the time in the world to work with the artist to get their monitors right! The way I see it, the reason the forum is down isn't because of Bob its because of whining from disrespectful people and he simply did what ANYONE would do in his position or what any parent would with their 5 year old child that wont listen or stop crying to get their way! I am done ranting now!

What the...?? Here it is only two weeks into the new forum and the Kool Aid drinkers feel like they need to come around here? This is not Bob's sandbox...
ekimtoor1

Postby shmick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:29 am

ekimtoor1 wrote:What the...?? Here it is only two weeks into the new forum and the Kool Aid drinkers feel like they need to come around here? This is not Bob's sandbox...

You'll always have all types of people on any forum, yourself included.
shmick

Postby ekimtoor1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 am

shmick wrote:
ekimtoor1 wrote:What the...?? Here it is only two weeks into the new forum and the Kool Aid drinkers feel like they need to come around here? This is not Bob's sandbox...

You'll always have all types of people on any forum, yourself included.

no shit, sherlock. that point has nothing to do with my remark.
ekimtoor1

Postby randyhyde » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:48 am

shmick wrote:The iPad accounts for almost 70% of the market share for tablets. This is not a "fad" device by any stretch of the imagination. The development kits and support around iOS apps are also second to none, which is why you see _almost_ everyone coming out with their apps.

To be fair to Bob, to write an iPad app he would have to learn a new programming language (objective C), a new OS/API (iOS), would have to create new graphics, would have to adapt a new display paradigm (do you think anyone would accept a non-scalable app on an iPad that doesn't support "pinch and zoom"?).

It would be a lot of work. Quite honestly for a dubious return. Bob is right about one thing -- if you really want to use a tablet there are tablets out there that will run SAC (I have one of them). No, they are not as nice as the iPad, and, no, you can't repurpose your personal iPad to do SAC work (you pretty much have to buy a SAC-specific Windows tablet).

Someday, the MS Surface will appear. Hopefully SAC will run (unchanged) on the "pro" version. It will have lots of problems (e.g., no "pinch to zoom") but it will do 95% of what we all need out of a tablet. Sure, it will be expensive (estimates are $1,000 for the Surface Pro) and it's doubtful it will be useful to most people much beyond running SAC Remote. Yes, running SAC with its fixed-resolution graphics on a tiny screen (1920x1080 on an 11" display is going to be fun; you *will* need to use a stylus), but it will do the job (and probably better than current solutions).

I've got three iPads. I'd love to see SAC running on them. But I can understand why that will never come to pass from RML Labs. Perhaps if the API ever shows up some enterprising third party can do the honors. And that's the way it should be. Just another example of why Bob really needs to produce a SAC Remote API (including support for remote plugins).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

PreviousNext

Return to SAC Discussion