SAC feature requests.

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

SAC feature requests.

Postby shmick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Let's discuss the features and additional functionality we'd like to see in SAC.

- Routing matrix -In a 72x72x25 system, this is more of a need than a want. Tracking down I/O routing problems drives me nuts in SAC.

- A native or properly working 3rd party iPad app and iPhone app. Lots of folks on stage own an iPad / iPhone and could me making changes to their monitor mixes by themselves, reducing the work for the monitor mixer or FOH mixer.

- Native EQ and Dynamics built into the output channels.

- A much nicer GUI (overall), but specifically for the native channel EQ

- Generic MIDI support for broader control surface options

- OSC ( Open Sound Control ) support.

- Scene "undo" option in the event that you accidentally recalled a scene, so you can do back to the "just before you recalled the wrong scene" state.

- The ability to lock down certain functions to keep main system configs from being accidentally or purposely messed with by unauthorized folks.

That's my quick wish-list list off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.
Host: ASUS P5Q SE/R, Intel E8400 O/C'd to 3.8ghz, 3 x RME HDSP 9652, XP Pro
Gear: 9 x ADA8K, 4 x Audiorails, 1 x BCF2000
Config: FOH + 12 stereo IEM mixes
Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Re: SAC feature requests.

Postby jlklein » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 pm

-A faster way to switch between mixer windows (i.e. Winamp uses Ctrl-Tab to rotate between main, EQ, video, media and playlist windows, depending on what's open). Yeah, I know you can use Fkeys, but that eats up Fkeys.
-Better arrow control options, i.e. click on (or touch with a touchscreen) any parameter that utilizes a popup fader and the arrow keys will allow you to control like a channel fader. Have it revert to channel fader control after 5 seconds of inactivity, or an escape key or touching something else.
-Better real-time remote control of plug-ins, the click the blue triangle stuff is too cumbersome.
-DEFINITELY the routing matrix.
-Plug-in tracker

Jeff
jlklein

Postby shmick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm

And now I want Microsoft Surface support as a remote!

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

Misc: Dual Linkwitz-Riley plugin, Studio Levelizer, Studio Reverb, Frequency Analyzer, SAWStudioLite
shmick

Postby jlepore » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 pm

That Surface does look pretty cool :)

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, that I really would like to see (if done right) would be the so-called monitor view.
One of the biggest PITAs doing monitors right now is the constant bouncing between Mon1 (the master) to do eq/comp/gate/etc and the other mixes to do levels. When you're trying to move fast to build the mixes on the fly, this is infinitely slower than on any other desk (analog or digital) I have ever worked on. Once things are in the right places, mixing the show on it isn't bad (excepting the solo bus bug).
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby shmick » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Also keyboard shortcuts for things like Solo and Mute
shmick

Postby randyhyde » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:02 am

jlepore wrote:That Surface does look pretty cool :)

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, that I really would like to see (if done right) would be the so-called monitor view.
One of the biggest PITAs doing monitors right now is the constant bouncing between Mon1 (the master) to do eq/comp/gate/etc and the other mixes to do levels. When you're trying to move fast to build the mixes on the fly, this is infinitely slower than on any other desk (analog or digital) I have ever worked on. Once things are in the right places, mixing the show on it isn't bad (excepting the solo bus bug).

A custom programmable keypad has solved that problem for me. Just program M1, M2, ... keys with 01, 02, 03, ...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
randyhyde

Postby shmick » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 am

randyhyde wrote:A custom programmable keypad has solved that problem for me. Just program M1, M2, ... keys with 01, 02, 03, ...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Sure, but it's a far cry from the real thing of being able to see the same channel strip across multiple mixers in a single view. On a typical widescreen 1920x1080 monitor you should be able to get around 17 or 18 Z-Mixer channel strips.
shmick

Postby jlepore » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:23 am

randyhyde wrote:
jlepore wrote:That Surface does look pretty cool :)

A custom programmable keypad has solved that problem for me. Just program M1, M2, ... keys with 01, 02, 03, ...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

The problem is I'm doing this from on deck with my tablet. I have done the whole F-Keys to change mixer thing, but it is a PITA trying to move quickly like this. It should really be (like any other desk) - Select input channel - tweak settings - bring up faders on each mix as talent is asking - and do it quickly. Right now, the constant switching around takes my eyes off them too long and they start getting more impatient as the check progresses. Standing at the workstation is even worse, since I'm then offstage looking like I'm ignoring them!

Seeing the same Wide mixer (locked to mix 1) while being able to see the faders for each console would be the ideal solution. Unfortunatly, that is not available (and probably won't be in our lifetimes)
Gigabyte H55-USB3 i5-650/4G/XP/SSD Profire 2626x3/ADAx2/MLA7x1 Motormix x2 AMP/SAC/SAWLite
jlepore

Postby soundguy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm

jlepore wrote:The problem is I'm doing this from on deck with my tablet. I have done the whole F-Keys to change mixer thing, but it is a PITA trying to move quickly like this. It should really be (like any other desk) - Select input channel - tweak settings - bring up faders on each mix as talent is asking - and do it quickly. Right now, the constant switching around takes my eyes off them too long and they start getting more impatient as the check progresses. Standing at the workstation is even worse, since I'm then offstage looking like I'm ignoring them!

Seeing the same Wide mixer (locked to mix 1) while being able to see the faders for each console would be the ideal solution. Unfortunatly, that is not available (and probably won't be in our lifetimes)

As crude as the Sound Manager remote/offline editor software for the PM5D is, you can easily see a visual display of all 25 mixes in the main mixer view. You can adjust any of those mix levels from that window, although the adjustments are crude because the real estate is small. You can select a channel view quite easily and see the mix sends on the individual channel outs in finer detail.

I'm not saying this is ideal, but it gets the job done and gets you the info and access to adjustment you need. It's crude, but you know what's going on. It's crude, because the design of the system if for fine tuning to be adjusted on the hardware. But there is something to be learned by how intuitive the systems is.

I also do not have any "hands on" experience with using an iPad or other touch tablet with the 5D, although I have observed system techs running around with them.

Soundguy
soundguy

Postby Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:41 pm

You know now that Bob isn't doing the forum, he might have more time to actually get some of the things he's been talking about added... It might actually be a good thing he doesn't have a forum anymore.
-Craig
Craig

Next

Return to SAC Discussion