SAC feature requests.

Discussions about the use and operation of SAC (Software Audio Console)

Re: SAC feature requests.

Postby gdougherty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am

randyhyde wrote:
shmick wrote:The iPad accounts for almost 70% of the market share for tablets. This is not a "fad" device by any stretch of the imagination. The development kits and support around iOS apps are also second to none, which is why you see _almost_ everyone coming out with their apps.

To be fair to Bob, to write an iPad app he would have to learn a new programming language (objective C), a new OS/API (iOS), would have to create new graphics, would have to adapt a new display paradigm (do you think anyone would accept a non-scalable app on an iPad that doesn't support "pinch and zoom"?).

It would be a lot of work. Quite honestly for a dubious return. Bob is right about one thing -- if you really want to use a tablet there are tablets out there that will run SAC (I have one of them). No, they are not as nice as the iPad, and, no, you can't repurpose your personal iPad to do SAC work (you pretty much have to buy a SAC-specific Windows tablet).

Someday, the MS Surface will appear. Hopefully SAC will run (unchanged) on the "pro" version. It will have lots of problems (e.g., no "pinch to zoom") but it will do 95% of what we all need out of a tablet. Sure, it will be expensive (estimates are $1,000 for the Surface Pro) and it's doubtful it will be useful to most people much beyond running SAC Remote. Yes, running SAC with its fixed-resolution graphics on a tiny screen (1920x1080 on an 11" display is going to be fun; you *will* need to use a stylus), but it will do the job (and probably better than current solutions).

I've got three iPads. I'd love to see SAC running on them. But I can understand why that will never come to pass from RML Labs. Perhaps if the API ever shows up some enterprising third party can do the honors. And that's the way it should be. Just another example of why Bob really needs to produce a SAC Remote API (including support for remote plugins).

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Started playing with the Win8 release peview in a VM last night. It's really weird on a regular computer, but I can see where on a tablet the Metro UI will be as good or possibly better than an iPad. I've been recommending a wait and see attitude on tablets for the moment with my clients unless there's a legitimate business need or the feel they must have an iPad right now to accomplish what they need. Windows 8 may or may not be a major game changer, and I won't be surprised if it is.
http://softwareaudioconsole.wikidot.com The start of a wiki. It's slow going and there's a ton of info that should be in there yet.
Biggest item is the Command Reference on how to do most actions within SAC. It's 90% of what you need for UI proficiency.

g is for George
gdougherty

Previous

Return to SAC Discussion